Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New map Project

Paul Hederer

I thought it might be interesting to share a bit of detail about my latest map project. I made a map of the Verdun battlefield a few years ago, but not being happy with the results I started another about a month ago, applying all I've learned over the past years.

I'm quite happy with the result, though it's still in the early stages. The project shows the possibilities of combining old trenchmaps, period drawn maps, and modern satellite imagery and elevation data, into a combined map. I've also toned down the elevation shading a lot to make the colors less distracting, while hopefully giving the viewer, at a glance, an impression of the terrain.

At this stage the map only has the French forts and ouvrages, and German rail, and trench railway system details. The forests are from 1916 data, and show quite clearly the fire lanes cut around the forts.

Example below

overview.png

For some more information please visit:

Verdun Map Project 2008

Paul

I vividly remember some years ago when you introduced your map project on the GWF. Still have the old Verdun map from these days in my files, as I think its a worthwhile and most interesting project. I am glad that you pick up again the genre and am most curious about the progress. Please let us participate in the development

I vividly remember some years ago when you introduced your map project on the GWF. Still have the old Verdun map from these days in my files, as I think its a worthwhile and most interesting project. I am glad that you pick up again the genre and am most curious about the progress. Please let us participate in the development

Hello Egbert,

Thank you for your kind offer to participate. One of the last things I was missing was the network of German field railways, but I managed to find that at BA-MA Freiburg during my last visit. I hope to find the same for the French as well. I've only built the rail network for the German side right now.

As far as information goes I have most of what I need. One thing I would like to do it place all the German names for the various ravines, and this will take some work.

Paul

Hiya,Paul.

Any way I could get a copy of your 1st effort? I've visited the site but its too small & dark to make out detail/do a screen shot etc.Unless I've missed something,of course :rolleyes:

Hoping you can help & it will be for personal use only.

Dave.

Paul

A terrific project. It is still a battle relativbely ill served by accounts in English, and one ( led by Education in Verdun) in which I have aparticular interest. I can offer no practical assistance but my encouragement. I await the continuing story with fascination.

Best regards

david

Paul - looks really good. Will this be available in some form of commercial/non-commercial form? Verdun could really do with some sort of GPS mapping system.

Thanks to all for your kind comments. No, this isn't a commercial project, it's a labour of love.

Unfortunately, I must admit I've been burned a few times in the past years by people (no members here) more than willing to take the work and use it without even a thanks or credit--thus my (rather sad) limiting the online copies to screenshots with my name plastered on them. That's a bit dissapointing when one spends 100's of hours on a project.

The map could be used with a GPS, that's right. The end product will be georectified. The accuracy should be pretty good--I keep cross referencing the trenchmaps, with the Landsat data, with the IGN data and I'm very happy with the results.

Using the older maps there are built in errors--sometimes that can be corrected by "pulling" the data a bit tighter by using modern sources. This works well for known road patterns, and landmarks that remain unchanged. Town and villiage outlines, as well as forests are more problematic. What I've found interesting is that you can sometimes trace the old forest boundries on the satellite photos as they were replanted first and show up nicely.

The biggest limitations are scanning in large maps--this is very hard to do on a regular small scanner, and right now, as silly as this may sound, I need more memory for my computer. I have been reluctant to buy more as I've read that due to a limitation in windows XP the program may not utilize more that 2 GB of ram, even if I have it on my machine. Right now I'm having to build the maps in layers, closing those that are complete and working on the next layer--this is unfortunately very time consuming.

I someone has a suggestion on how I could distribute this with some control please send me a PM.

Paul, I thought I had heard linesman was coming out with a "French Edition," sometime in the future?

Paul

P.S. I just wanted to add that if anyone is interested learning how to do this, or in the methods involved, I'm more than willing to share, either on or off list.

Thanks for that, Paul. There was talk of Linesman doing French maps, but I have not heard any more of it, and no idea what area/scope etc they would cover.

Thanks for that, Paul. There was talk of Linesman doing French maps, but I have not heard any more of it, and no idea what area/scope etc they would cover.

Paul

It is far more than talk, and will cover all that are found to exist with anything interesting on. (450+ so far)

However, it is unlikely to be next week! :D

Guy

I've just about finished the rail network for both sides. I was working with some artillery maps this morning, and wanted to share an example.

Below is a small section of the German artillery deployment North of Verdun, February 1916. Makes it easy to see how the big guns were hidden behind the heights.

Paul

artillery.png

Hello,

Looking for some feedback on a slightly new style, please. I'm wanting to know how easy it is to understand the terrain for the average map-reader with this slightly artistic style.

Paul

new_example.png

I like it too, Paul. It makes the ground very easy to understand, which it isn't today as the forest covers all the salient features.

Christina

Thank you for the helpful comments. This style looks very striking when printed. I printed the entire 30" x 26" map last night, something I rarely do. The colors are a bit washed out, and I need to adjust for the differences in print and screen appearance.

Now for a bit of final work on the rails, then the villages and labels (a big job) and then trying to decide how to show (or if to show) the various trenches.

Paul

• 1 year later...

First of all, well done for some striking imagery and obviously, a stack of hard work!

I am trying to do the same sort of thing for the Italian front up in the mountains of Slovenia. Any advice would be welcome and I'll share my efforts as soon as I have something worthwhile to show for it all!

Please keep us informed as to where you are with yours.

Best

Paul

Paul,

Where did you find the info for the railways? I have been trying to find decent railway maps of the Lorraine for some years and failed utterly.