Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses

eirridia

post-40163-1227393554.jpgpost-40163-1227393581.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of my great aunt. Yes, apparently the photos are of the same woman, though I have to wonder!

I know that there are experts on this forum that might tell me what these uniforms signify. I'd be pleased to receive your comments.

The photo on the right shows your great-aunt in the uniform of Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service - it was a small service, and each woman has a service sheet held on microfilm at The National Archives in class ADM104.

I would suggest that the photo on the left is earlier, and probably while she was training as a nurse in a civil hospital, or at the time of completing her training. I don't know how old she was, but I get the feeling that she probably trained after 1910 (but getting on sticky ground there!).

Sue

Sue, in relation then to the poet W M Letts ('blue tippet trimmed with red' etc) would she too have had a service sheet (held on microfilm at The National Archives in class ADM104) seeing as she was - apparently - seconded from her VAD detachment in Dublin to work at the 2nd West General Hospital in Manchester? Many thanks

Bairbre

Sue, in relation then to the poet W M Letts ('blue tippet trimmed with red' etc) would she too have had a service sheet (held on microfilm at The National Archives in class ADM104) seeing as she was - apparently - seconded from her VAD detachment in Dublin to work at the 2nd West General Hospital in Manchester?

Bairbre

No, she wouldn't. She was working as a VAD, and the tippet wearers were all trained nurses of QAIMNS/TFNS or QARNNS - so she was writing about somebody else, not herself, and not other VADs. I interpreted the uniform in the poem as QARNNS, and I know that Norman suggested that it could be Territorial Force Nursing Service. If it was written at 2nd Western General, then it must have been the latter, with some artistic licence, but no VAD records (with a few exceptions) at The National Archives.

Regards --- Sue

The photo on the right shows your great-aunt in the uniform of Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service

Sue

Thanks Sue

I looked up info on QARNNS and I now recognise the badge on my great-aunts tippet.