Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

died between 7/8/1915-14/8/1915

Skipman

I have a man on local memorial,Duncan Robertson Crerar,died between 7/8/1915-14/8/1915 reg #276 2nd Bn AIF.Is there anything unusual about the fact there is no definite date,or is it basically because of the confused fighting at lone pine,his body must have found after he had been posted missing.

Also ,there can't have been many Scots fought at lone pine ,can there?

Mike

Also ,there can't have been many Scots fought at lone pine ,can there?

The Lone Pine Cemetery and Memorial has at least 155 AIF men from Scotland.

Is this what you meant?

(sorry there is no cemetery search option on my on-line engine)

Mike

Due to officer casualties and the confusion at the Battle of Lone Pine many soldiers ,

including some of the 7 V.C. winners have a date of death and/or date of award listed

as between ?/8/1915 and ?/8/1915.

In the case of the Australians , I have found that it is usually between 6/8/15 and 9/8/15

Hope that this will help.

Peter

Neil,that's my man.Well done,you guys never cease to amaze me.Is that online free,or do you have to subscribe.I knew the Canadian records were available but not the Australian.Will study it in depth later.Noticed a couple of things,it says he was an Englishman,i think he was a Scot.Also it says (in letter to next of kin) that he died on the 6th Aug in a charge at lone pine,bullet through forehead,was that just to placate the relatives,or was it fact,and if so,why the CWGC uncertainty over death date>

Anyway,many thanks for that,much more than dreamed of,i wish i could get so much detail on all the men am researching.

Cheers Mike

The Lone Pine Cemetery and Memorial has at least 155 AIF men from Scotland.

Is this what you mean?

That's what i meant,but just after i posted,i noticed another man Crerar on cwgc,another Scot,actually from the other place i used to live.It's a small world.I guess there were tens of thousands of young men with itchy feet,travelling the world by boat,and eager for a piece of the action in ww1.They got it too.

Cheers Mike