Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

42nd (West Lancs) Divisional Ammunition Column and 3rd/2nd Lowland Bri

iainbrown5

I'm looking for some further info on my great grandfathers service during the war.

Daniel Brown signed up to the Territorial Force on 13 September 1915. He joined 3rd/2nd Lowland Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (TF) as a Gunner (Regimental number: 801).

In common with most TF units, the Lowland Brigade RFA formed three "lines" in late 1914:

1/2nd Lowland FA Brigade went overseas with the 52nd Lowland Division Division and served in Gallipoli and Egypt & Palestine for the rest of the war.

2/2nd Lowland FA Brigade was intended for home defence (the TF's original role).

3/2nd Lowland FA Brigade was the depot and draft-finding unit for the other two. It remained in the UK throughout the war.

He entered embodied service with 3/1st Battery, Lowland Brigade, RFA. However on the 25th of March 1916 he embarked from Devonport and went to Alexandria in Egypt, arriving on the 5th of April. He was re-numbered 69658.

[/size]

Daniel was then attached to the 42nd (West Lancs) Divisional Ammunition Column at Suez on 2 May 1916. This was part of the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division.

On the 23rd of September he was posted to Kantara.

He was posted somewhere else (unclear from service record) with the Divisional Ammunition Column on the 1st of July 1917, then posted to 'A' Battery, 264th Brigade, on the 6th of August 1917.

After this he was posted to ‘Base’ on the 6th of August 1917. Then finally to the 52nd Divisional Ammunition Column, on the 7th of February 1918 (part of 52nd (Lowland) Division. This division left for the Western Front in April 1918 and the DAC transferred to the 7th (Indian) Division.

Daniel left the army on the 11th of April 1919.

Can anyone help me with what these units were doing at the times mentioned?