The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SE 22249 Pte John A. Newson A.V.C.

Drew5233

Hi (Cheers Admin/Mods) I finally made it :)

So this is where I asked for all your help, experience and advice biggrin.gif <----Big Smile.

I've finally got my Dad to dig out his fathers medals from WW1 and give me his service No. etc from his medals.

My grandad died when I was only 4 or 5 and the family inc my Dad know next to nothing about what he did during The Great War.

Infact all we know is he was in the Veterinary Corps due to his love of animals (apparently) and there appears to be a rumour within the family that he may have been in a Cavalry unit and transfered to the AVC when they started getting tanks so he could stay and work with the horses. The family have a picture of him on a horse in uniform by some stables which I will scan the next time I'm at my parents in Kent. My father also said he sang in a group called the 'Black Cats' entertaining troops. Anyone heard of them ?

If anyone can shed any light on any of the above I would be very grateful whether its the AVC during WW1 or on even on him during his service.

So far I have found his medal card online.

I spoke to the RAVC Museum and they told me if I can identify his unit(s) they can tell me where he was during the war.

I also spoke to NA and they suggested I go to Kew (with I am going to do next month) and look up this file W0 95/5498 to try and found out what units he was with.

Anything else I should be considering ?

Many thanks in advance and cheers

Andy

Morning Andy and welcome to the forum.

I'm not an expert but I'll post a few snippets to get things going.

His medal index card only shows his service in a theatre of war. So he only went to war with the AVC - therefore he could have enlisted/been posted to another regiment prior to this. The medal entries are for 1916 onwards.

SE I think means 'Special enlistment' into the AVC of men (1916?) specially skilled in horses. I think this meant an enhanced rate of pay.

Medal roll entry is a good place to find the AVC Section and hence his movements.

regards and good luck with the search.

David

Hi Andy,

His Medal Index Card on Ancestry shows Victory and British Medals, RAVC/101B 1 W Page 606. No other details, It will mean more to an expert. WELCOME!!!

Regards Barry

Andy

The SE/ prefix was used throughout the war but I can tell you that his number indicates that he joined the Army Veterinary Corps around September 1916.

Welcome to the forum.

Paul

Cheers for your help so far chaps :)

Paul, does that mean he joined the Army in 1916 or just the AVC?

I know my Army No. stays with me for life but I know it was all different back then. So I'm wondering if he had one No. with one unit then got another in 1916 when he joined the AVC?

Cheers

Andy

Andy

He could quite possibly have joined another regiment before 1916, but the SE/ number indicates he joined the AVC in 1916.

Paul

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I found another two pictures of my grandad this week end. If anyone can offer any info that would be fan-daby-dosi !

grandadarmyvetinarycorp.jpg

grandadarmyvetinarycorpi.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Andy