Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private G/2322 George Joseph WHITE. 3rd Battalion (Dover), The Buffs

Neil Clark

Can someone PLEASE help me out by providing a GRO death reference for this chap. I'm working on him today and it seems a very sad story indeed! At the moment it looks like he killed himself when he learned he was to be kicked out the army and sent to a civilian mental asylum.

Here's what I have so far. I think he probably died whilst still at Napsbury Mental Hospital but until I trace the death reference I won't know for sure. -

WHITE G.J

Ministry of Pensions reference – 12970 E

Total War Service: 1 Year, 303 days

(Mick Mills - Abort)

Private G/2322 George Joseph WHITE. 3rd Battalion (Dover), The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Formerly 6th Buffs (Cory’s Own). Comitted suicide 8 September 1917 at ? Born Swanscombe, Kent. Enlisted London (Volunteered) 9 September 1914. Husband of Mrs Emily Louisa White (nee Pullen), 13 College Road, Northfleet, Kent. Married 24 March 1913. Resided (1914) 134 Charlton Lane, Woolwich, London. His name appears on the Corys Roll of Honour Canterbury?

Before the outbreak of war George was working as a “Journeyman”?

Children

George Joseph WHITE 6 February 1914 (Woolwich)

Enlisted London (Volunteered) 9 September 1914. Posted 12 September 1914 to Canterbury (Buffs Depot) for basic training. Landed France (6th Buffs) 1 May 1915. Wounded in action (Gunshot wound Right Arm) 14 May 1915. Evacuated from the field (France) through the medical chain and recovered to UK 16 May 1915. Upon arriving home George was admitted into hospital at Dover for treatment of Gunshot Wound. After treatment George proceeded to the Citidel in Dover (3rd Buffs) where he became seriously mentally ill. His service papers clearly show his service character to have been – GOOD.

Admitted to hospital 14 March 1916 (Demented) – He has become engulfed ? mentally. He is now dull, does not speak, he sits staring. Primary Dementia. Became Non-Effective 7 July 1916 - No longer fit for further war service (not yet discharged from the army). Sent to Military Wing, Napsbury (County of Middlesex) War Hospital. Admitted as a serviceman suffering from a serious mental illness. Still in asylum March 1917 (being treated).

Letter from Napsbury to 3rd Buffs – 27 June 1916

Advising George’s commanding officer that the service authorities intended to discharge George from the Military Wing of County of Middlesex War Hospital, St Albans, Hertfordshire to a civilian asylum and that clothes would be provided. The army appears to have finally lost it’s patience with poor George and most shockingly made arrangements to finally kick him out the army! (This is probably why he killed himself).

On 1st July 1916 George’s wife received papers from the Army advising of her husbands intended final discharge.

DISCHARGED FROM ARMY: 7 July 1916

Sad letter from his wife to Army Pay Office

Personal letter from his wife to Army Pay Office advising that her husand “had lost his memory and cannot speak”! She goes on to request monies owed that were owed to her husband in his army pay.

Ministry of Pensions – George stated he had been wounded in France (GSW Right Arm) and that the experience had unsettled him badly. The Medical Officer wrote “Aggravated by his war service, Stress of Campaign and GSW Right Arm. permanent incapacity”. Awarded a full war disability pension.

Letter to Wife 1 October 1917

On 1st October 1917 (after George’s suicide) his wife was sent a letter from the Ministry of Pensions advising her that she was being awarded a full widows war pension of 18/9 per week for herself and 1 child.

Letter to Wife From Army 12 July 1918 (after George’s death)

The Infantry Records Office at Hounslow wrote – “Primary Dementia was Probably Aggravated by war service! They awarded George’s wife a full war pension based upon the fact.

On 19th February 1918 the Army (Infantry Record Office) at Hounslow sent his wife Army Form B.104 – 126 forwarding onwards George’s personal effects. The form states “of the LATE” 2322 Private White etc… This proves he was still a serving soldier at the time he killed himself! There is also another note from the Ministry of Pensions dated 14 July 1917 advising of George’s death.

On 20 July 1920 George’s wife Mrs Emily White was sent a Kings Certificate which was awarded to all familys who lost a man during the Great War. This in itself proves that poor George’s suicide was attributable to his war service. The service authorities and Ministry of Pensions certainly thought this was the case.

Neil

just checked the relevant GRO page - it is one of the worst I have ever seen - virtually unreadable

Chris

Oh dear. I have a date of birth but no idea on a GRO reference. Looks like I may have to request a DC from the GRO direct. I normally obtain them locally from the area they died. Thanks for taking the time to look though, Chris.

Free BMD records:

Deaths September Quarter 1917

White George J, Age 30, Maidstone, 2a 889

Like Chris I am unable to make out the details on the page itself. I can only assume that Free BMD have verified the entry but they may not have.

Doug

Doug

must remember to use free BMD

Chris

I thought I did that! Oh well, just goes to prove 2 sets of eyes better than 1.

I have ordered the DC and will be submiting him in the next 2 weeks or so. Interesting he died in Maidstone! Taking that into account he probably killed himself after being moved from Military Wing at Napsbury. I wonder if it turns out he actually died in Maidstone Mental Hospital as a civilian? Poor sod... I will redouble my efforts to get him the honour he deserves...

I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT Mick Mills (Forum Resident Buffs expert) gave me this mans name. I am reading "Forgotten Lunitics of the Great War" (Peter Barham) for a few pointers etc...

Can someone please tell me what a "Journeyman" was (occupation/profession)?

Thanks lads.

One of my ancestors was a blacksmith journeyman. I have found a defination on line -

Journeyman

A man who served his apprenticeship in a trade and worked as a fully qualified employee. The term originated in the regulations of the medieval trade guilds; it derives from the French journée (‘a day’) because journeymen were paid daily.

Each guild normally recognized three grades of worker – apprentices, journeymen, and masters. As a qualified tradesman, a journeyman might have become a master with his own business but most remained employees.

From what the above defines one can only asume he was a tradesman. A GSW to an arm may have potentially contributed to his mental health problems, as the GSW could have potentially affected his potential post war work as a tradesman, thus causing anxiety, worry and eventually depression could have arose.

Hope that this is of some help.

• 2 weeks later...

Got his DC today - He died of General Paralysis of the Insane (GPI). This strengthens the case as GPI was attributable to a mans war service. Many thousands of men contracted this on active service. It was real problem at the height of it's infection rate and was responsible for over 20% of lunitic asylum admissions. Many GPI cases during the war died from starvation in these places as the amount of food given was derisory...

Got his DC today - He died of General Paralysis of the Insane (GPI). This strengthens the case as GPI was attributable to a mans war service. :D

Thanks for pursuing this Neil

Mick

EDIT - Post removed as I felt the content was not fair to the casualty's memory or his present surviving family.

Neil

Mick,

This guy had GSW to the body and served overseas on active war service. He was also awarded a FULL war pension by the Ministry of Pensions. That speaks volumes...

The D.C does record death as G.P.I but I don't buy it. When he became ill the doctors recorded his illness as PRIMARY DEMENTIA. Only his D.C lists GPI. I don't trust these things...

Minstry of Pensions and the War Office Guidelines 1917 - Mental Health of Serviceman

In 1917, it was decided to eliminate the distinction between cases with and without service-connected trauma, where it could be presumed that military service – even brief and served in Britain – had exacerbated (accelerated, deepened) pre-existing psychiatric conditions, including G.P.I.