Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Stuart Underwood BAILY

Neil Clark

Can someone please provide a death reference for this chap (potential non-com)?

BAILY S.U

Lieutenant Stuart Underwood BAILY. 490th (Home Counties) Field Company, Royal Engineers (RE). Died 15 September 1918 aged 32 years. Eldest son of Stuart Baily (a former solicitor from Cornwall) and Marion Baily (nee Underwood) of 6 Dane Road, St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex. Buried Fairlight Churchyard, Fairlight, Hastings, East Sussex. Grave reference – Not known.

Thanks.

Neil

Can someone please provide a death reference for this chap (potential non-com)?

BAILY S.U

Lieutenant Stuart Underwood BAILY. 490th (Home Counties) Field Company, Royal Engineers (RE). Died 15 September 1918 aged 32 years. Eldest son of Stuart Baily (a former solicitor from Cornwall) and Marion Baily (nee Underwood) of 6 Dane Road, St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex. Buried Fairlight Churchyard, Fairlight, Hastings, East Sussex. Grave reference – Not known.

Thanks.

Neil

Try this Neil - Hastings (1837-1977)

Volume:2bPage:47

Neil

I have a copy of the death certificate if that helps you. Also found the announcement of his death in the Times archive which has him as "died of wounds" as does the death certificate which gives his occupation as Lieutenant Royal Engineers. I know there is no file at the NA but would you know if the death crtificate is enough?

If so let me know where I can forward it on to you to try and rectify his non commemoration. Also have a photo of his grave if that helps

The death certificate is certifed

Best regards John

Neil

I have a copy of the death certificate if that helps you. Also found the announcement of his death in the Times archive which has him as "died of wounds" as does the death certificate which gives his occupation as Lieutenant Royal Engineers. I know there is no file at the NA but would you know if the death crtificate is enough?

If so let me know where I can forward it on to you to try and rectify his non commemoration. Also have a photo of his grave if that helps

The death certificate is certifed

Best regards John

Hello Hambo,

Typical - I recieved his DC this morning! My fault for jumping in with both feet :lol:

I'm happy to make a case with whats available. If you want to go with it then thats Okay too - all I care about is that he gets a official commemoration. The last thing I want to do is pinch cases off people who intend to go forward in the future. I shall search the Army Lists too all of which I have on disk (that can easily be searched)...

I fully expect that by searching old threads like this we shall eventually upset someone who intended to submit a case. I'm afraid I'd rather risk this than risk losing a potential non-com who has been forgotten over time. It's bad enough that the authorities forget them 90+ years ago let alone us doing so second time round :o

Wishing you all the very best.

Neil

Neil

Please make the submission if you think there is enough there to bring him in. I have never attempted to get a non comm recognised so please go ahead and let me know how you get on if you don't mind

On another note the King's Canterbury memorials for the Great War and the Second World War are just about done (in so far as they ever can be!) and I had a meeting with the archivist a couple of weeks ago and we decided that we are very likely going to put it on the web. Would it be possible to put it on Kent Fallen and link it to the OKS website? (which is apparantly undergoing a revamp)

If this is at all possible could you let me know what format you need it in as it's a pretty large amount of stuff. A memory stick perhaps?

We're still hoping to add a few more photographs

Look forward to hearing from you

best regards John

Neil

Please make the submission if you think there is enough there to bring him in. I have never attempted to get a non comm recognised so please go ahead and let me know how you get on if you don't mind

On another note the King's Canterbury memorials for the Great War and the Second World War are just about done (in so far as they ever can be!) and I had a meeting with the archivist a couple of weeks ago and we decided that we are very likely going to put it on the web. Would it be possible to put it on Kent Fallen and link it to the OKS website? (which is apparantly undergoing a revamp)

If this is at all possible could you let me know what format you need it in as it's a pretty large amount of stuff. A memory stick perhaps?

We're still hoping to add a few more photographs

Look forward to hearing from you

best regards John

Yes of course, consider kentfallen at your service. All you need to do is let me have your work in either MS Word or PDF format. If you give it me in Word format I shall convert it into PDF to stop others changing your work or cutting and pasting it and claiming it as their own work (it does go on). You will retain FULL copyright of your work and if ever you want it removed for any reason your wishes will be respected.

I can add the invicta watermark on each page to stop people claiming the work as their own. Alternatively you can provide me with your own watermark artwork or design.

You can simply attatch your photos to the Word document if you wish. You can send me it all on CD ROM. PM me when you want my snail mail. My email is - clarkneil(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk Obviously without the brackets!

In case you aren't aware, when you turn a MS Word document into a PDF document it compresses the work by a factor of 10 - a 100 MB document becomes only 10 MB in size. If we didn't use PDF reports our website would be over 6GB in size! At the moment it's only 700MB and only costs £8 a month in hosting costs.

Last month we had 12,000 unique visitors this month it's looking more like 15,000 :D

If you have any ideas regarding presenting the work then just point out what you want. I'm not an expert (as you can see with my our site). I did however construct it from scratch and did not use any kind of template as most others do (with a far more professional looking result it must be said). It serves a purpose even if it's not pretty...

I will take this officer forward with my next batch of men. I shall keep you informed of any progress (or otherwise). This case will remain yours I shall always make this perfectly clear on kentfallen when I am able to update the forgotten men pages!

Please be assured I'm not in this game for any kind of personal glory - all I care about is the men themselves and getting them the honour they all deserve. They gave their lives for their country and it's only right that the country records their sacrifice properly and ensures they have a presentable grave marker etc...

Got the DC and it looks like he was a serving officer when died. I will be submitting this case next week (batch 5) .

Neil

That is excellent news

I will be in touch soon with the King's stuff as the archivist is still trawling through some of his records which has turned up four new photos. Two are identified and two are not. I will post the two who aren't for ID of unit (one is an artilleryman) and then check it against pictures of the sports teams of the period to see if I can get a match. Just because we have a picture doesn't necessarily mean it's one of the names on the roll it could be anyone.

Thanks for the response and we'll try and knock it all into shape as soon as possible

Best regards John