Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Non-Com - Rifleman C/4519 Cecil D.J SAMBROOK. 17th KRRC

Neil Clark

I have been given this new non-com by my good friend Maggie Stephenson-Knight (Dover War Memorial Project) - http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/index.htm

I have his service/pension papers now and they clearly state he was invalided with Nepthritis - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=111290

A Ministry of Pensions form shows he died on 27 May 1917.

I have a GRO Death reference - 1917 DOVER 2a 1459.

Do I really need to go to the expense of a DC or not? Lately I have spent over £100 on these things and it's getting expensive!

SAMBROOK C.D.J

Dover War Memorial

Rifleman C/4519 Cecil D.J SAMBROOK. 17th Battalion, King’s Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC). Died 27 May 1917 from Nephritis and the effects of a severe gassing. Dover, Kent. Born September 1884 (Dover, Kent). Enlisted 6 September 1915 (KRRC). Resided Pier Cottage, Stroud Street, Dover, Kent.

2 May 1916 Recovered from the Field to Casualty Clearing Station (CCS).

12 May 1916 Nepthitis (Admitted Military General Hospital France)

13 May 1916 32 Casualty Clearing Station, France

13 May 1916 16 General Hospital, Le Treport, France

3 June 1916 Recovered to UK – via Newhaven

Discharged 27 September 1916 Medically unfit for further war service – Service character GOOD (sober, honest and steady soldier). Invalided (Permanently unfit for war service – Chronic Nepthritis due to exposure and infection – The result of active service.

GRO Death reference - 1917 DOVER 2a 1459.

Looks like a sure thing. I shall include this case with my next batch. My sincere thanks to Maggie for finding him in the first place!

post-2961-1227287399.jpg

post-2961-1227287409.jpg

If his service record or pension papers give his cause of death then you won't. If they don't, you will.

Without knowing the cause of death, it cannot be linked to service. After all, the DC could say 'Run over by a bus' (probably won't but you never know!).

The DC is not needed where both cause of discharge and a linked cause of death can be proven from service/pension records. We have had many cases accepted on this basis.

Wonder what the DC would say on this lad? It was 5 months from Discharge to death of the lad im researching DC stated Brights Disease which is Nepthritis if im not mistaken.

Wish his SR had survived like this one!

Ady

Thanks Terry, It looks like I will have to get his DC.... Not a problem.

Whats the betting the poor sod died of Nepthitis?

Probably another coming in from the cold.... :D

Ady,

I think you still have a very good case so don't worry. As I have said providing you write a convincing case the service authority (in this case the Army) will probably approve it. If you want to borrow my book on Ministry of Pensions War Pensions, just email me...

In the future I intend to write a few detailed reports on various illnesses and diseases which killed serviceman. The reports can then easily be attached to a man's submission. Each report will have to go into quite fine detail both from a medical point of view and using stats from the Ministry of Pension war pensions etc... I shall send you copies when I have got round to it (and Chris Harley, Neil ect...).

Neil

That Neil? Would it be me?

Quite good fun Buying DC's, beats giving it to the girlfriend.

Got 10 in the pipeline.

Neil

Coo - this is very exciting and interesting.

Credit to our dear Joyce (ss Maloja) - she's a star :) Many very grateful thanks to her - as always!

I really hope this is another one on the way in. Neil, a request/suggestion - your information about illnesses is fascinating. Is there a way they can be gathered together here as a reference (a sub sub forum perhaps?? :lol: )?

I really dont know how many more I have in the pipeline - everytime I look for someones details I find another non commemorated

Chris

I really dont know how many more I have in the pipeline - everytime I look for someones details I find another non commemorated

Chris

5 Years ago I estimated that there were 45,000 men like this just waiting to be found. The true Non-Com pioneer John Morecombe (peace be upon him) even updated his excellent site to reflect those new (estimated) figures. Together we agreed that that figure was probably about right. I still think that figure is about right. In the past I have had quite a few arguments with people who have laughed at that figure - Most now accept we were probably right.

One thing is for sure, there are plenty of outstanding non-coms out there waiting to be found. Perhaps we should all put our heads together and list the places where we can look for them? Chris has his own baby with the Times Archives and Sussex Coroner etc.., I find most of my own cases upon transcribing local civic war memorials. The point I'm trying to make is that there are more and more databases coming online and that a few of these can probably be used to find potential non-coms. If only we could all trawl through the local GRO death registers (1914-1921 and 1939-1947)! I'm sure that would flag up literally thousands of em! I have written to the local Registry Office loads of times requesting that only to be told that it was NOT possible. Even when I explained the reason all I got was silence and a cough (Little Britain moment). "What an earth is wrong with you man - these men died nearly a 100 years ago! :o

And finally YES that was a reference to you Neil, you are now one of the Band of Brothers aren't you? :lol: Sounds like you really are taking this thing serious? Good onyer, the more the merrier plus there's plenty to go round...

I would like to know if there are any local newspaper archives that are accessible on line

Chris

Chris

The Guardian is online (subscription needed) and, back "our time" when it was the Manchester Guardian, had a strong local focus, although it was still regarded as a national paper.

John

John,

Perhaps this can be your own "baby" once you have finished with IFTC Project (if it ever ends)? :D

Chris,

There are very clearly more and more searchable archives like this coming online. Perhaps someone should start another thread listing them all? I have my hands full with my medical threads...

If there really are 45,000 of em out there, we haven't even made a small dent yet! :o

We ALL need to carefully co-ordinate our (collective) work in order to avoid duplication (which may result in considerable financial/time loss).

Neil

John

thanks for the pointer - will look at it later when the Times Archives look to be finished (ha ha up to March 1916 now)

Neil

what are to going to do to avoid duplication?

Open to suguestions I am

Chris

If someone decides to concentrate on a particular resourse (such as The Times Archives) in order to find Non-Coms, that person should be left to get on with the work. If that person needs help then all he has to do is ask for it. If we don't co-ordinate our work then non-com's will be duplicated. These things cost enough without throwing money away needlessly like this (3 sets of DC's, Service papers etc..).

I can't speak for anyone else but as soon as I see someone concentrating on a particular resource, I leave it well alone.

Thats why I let you know about anything Kent - also if you stumble across anything E Anglian in your travels I would be grateful for a nudge

Re East Sussex Coroners there is now only 1 more to be investigated

Chris