Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Middlesex Regiment expert please

Muerrisch

This chap attested 26 Aug 1914, and was given number 1201. We have his MiC and his surviving documents. I am intrigued by his service number, as I thought Middx. boys all had a prefix, regardless of Terms of Enlistment.

He is g-gfather to two of my grand-daughters.

Thomas appears to have been posted to 5th bn 2 Oct 1914, and to 4th bn 19 Jan 1915, the day before he entered F&F.

Transferred to RE Tunnelling Coy, No. 184 if I read it correctly. Up and down to Cpl several times.

Survived.

1915 star and SWB.

But his number does puzzle me!

Grumpy

If the Middlesex Regiment was anything like the Royal Fusiliers then I suspect the prefix was added or left off at the whim of whomever was filling out the form.

I personally suspect he was prefixed, either with a G/ or GS/. Just above his number on his attestation sheet is the annotation GS/MX (no need to spell out what that means) and it's something I've come across several times with 'my' Royal Fusiliers battalion. Number is unprefixed on Attestation papers but has a similar (RFGS) annotation above, go to the Medal Rolls and there is the G/ or GS/ prefix.

Regards

Steve

He would have a prefix if he were listed on the Middlesex medal rolls. However, the Middlesex prefixes often disappear from medal rolls of other regiments or corps.

If I were guessing this man's prefix, I would say 'G'.

Regards,

AGWR