Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hammerhead Sap

Guest fisherman

Guest fisherman

Hi,

this is my first post.

I am wondering if any members have any information or know of any references to a german trench raid on the 1st Dorsets who were manning the hammerhead sap at Thiepval May 1916.

thanks

Hello, Fisherman

I have a full account of the German raid made against the Hammerhead sap on this date, a smaller version of the story was printed in an earlier issue of Stand To! The journal of the Western Front Association.

I have a photo of the prisoners taken after the raid while being inspected by regimental (99th RIR) and division officers. Let me know your e-mail and I will send a copy to you.

Can I ask what your interest is in this raid?

Ralph

Hello Fisherman and welcome to the Forum.

There is a good account of this raid in the Battleground Europe series, Thiepval, by Michael Stedman, published by Pen and Sword.

I believe the Forums very own Ralph Whitehead provided some pictures for the account :D

Regards, Chris.

• Admin

There are accounts in the excellent Sergeant Majors War, from Hill60 to the Somme, the diaries of Ernest Shephard, 1st Dorsets. Also in Poets and Pals of Picardy by Mary Ellen Freeman.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Chris, Any press is good press. I did correspond with Michael Stedman and a number of other Battleground Europe authors and provided some photos and accounts from the German side.

I have not had the opportunity to contribute lately, due to other commitments and in most cases not being asked. It was fun doing it then, hopefully I will be published in my own right in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Ralph

• 4 weeks later...

Ralph,

I was surprised to come across this topic again, as I recall it being raised some time ago (or am I thinking of the old OMRS Discussion Group?)

I have an abiding interest in the Dorsets, collecting medals (well, anything really) to this Regiment, particularly the 1st Bn and the original 1914 Star men (my passion). I have a copy of the War Diary, Medal Rolls, just about every book written on the subject and clearly recall your excellent article in StandTo! I am just delighted to learn that there is an even fuller version available. If at all possible, I would greatly appreciate a copy of the 'full' account and an electronic copy of the photo.

Many thanks

Steve Potter

Hello Steve,

I will look through my records today and pull the larger article. I had to reduce the size when submitting it for publication, I hope that the longer version is of use to you.

I should add that after the article was published I received a letter from a WFA member who had the medal group issued to the sergeant captured from the 17th Northumberland Fusiliers, 17/158 Sgt. James Spencely, D Coy. It was nice to be able to explain the reasons why the sergeant had been captured as the owner of the medals only knew he had been captured and no other details.

I have quite a few disks to review so it might be a little later when I find it. Send me a forum e-mail and I will attach the document on the return mail.

Ralph

Steve,

I almost forgot. There is another account of a 1st Dorset raid against La Boisselle in March 1916 where the raiding party was badly cut up and some men felt it was as if the Germans knew they were coming.

It seems that they did know and set up a trap for the raiding party. I have something on this as well and I will search for it and send it over with the Dorset information.

Ralph