Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Compulsorily transferred

Desmond7

Have come across a young soldier whose papers are stamped 'Compulsorily Transferred' - he had previously deserted twice from the original btn he volunteered to join in 1916. On second occasion his desertion was 'on a/s' (active service) and had a subsidiary charge of 'through negligence losing his regimental neccessaries'.

On both occasions he had rejoined the Btn., one assumes under his own steam.

Punishment for second desertion etc is 114 days imprisonment ... then commuted. A few days later he is posted to another regt. 'compulsorily'. He is DoW a few weeks later.

Does compulsory transfer indicate that original Btn had simply decided to offload a liability? And why did 'receiving' Btn have to accept him?

Des

Does compulsory transfer indicate that original Btn had simply decided to offload a liability? And why did 'receiving' Btn have to accept him?

It could have been more nuanced than that. It might depend on why he deserted. There might have been bad blood between him and other members of his batt and it was thought that he would do better in a new unit. The problem could have occured for a whole raft of reasons we can only now speculate on. A feud, religious disagreement (bigotry), even ethnic differences. Or some other reason why his face didn't fit.

I think compulsory meant compulsory on all concerned

As a serving soldier these things happen in today's age. As was said it could have been a case of getting him out for his own personal safety.

Would have the receiving unit have been given the full story? Who knows.

Either way, having died of wounds, he came through in the end.

I have seen some atrocious soldiers in my time, these are the ones who are not even classed as a soldiers boot lace. However, when it's crunch time, some of these are the one's who shine.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks folks ...

one more line on the papers 'transferred for the benefit of the service' .. he goes to a Btn which has already needed a big injection of manpower post March 21 1918 so the transfer may well be just a matter of bods for jobs as opposed to anything to do with his poor conduct.

Des

Des,

There is just not enough evidence to say if it was a case of "battalion x needs to be made up to strength; we need n volunteers; we'll take you, you and you;" or he didn't fit in the previous job, However, his various charges might have added to the likelyhood that he would be on the list of those the battalion would have on the top of the list for transfers.

Ta ...

I tend to think the balance may well be .. this guy has stepped out of line once too often .. oh goodie .. the Xth Regiment's btn is in need of a few replacements ... put our man to the top of the list!

Problem solved?

Certainly the transfer solved it for my soldier - he bought it shortly afterwards!