Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion, York and Lancs - Fresnoy

Don Stainton

I'm new to the geography and history of the Western Front - so forgive me if this is an obvious question. Can anyone tell me what battle/major action included an action by the 2nd Batallion, York and Lancs near Fresnoy-le-Grand on 18-19th September 1918? How do I access maps (trench maps?) of that action? What was the route the 2nd Battalion took to get there? And what happened to them after that date and up to the Armistice when they were in Bohain-en-Vermandois 5 kilometers up the road? Thanks!

Hi Don

I can not give much info. on 2nd Battalion York and Lancs but the 1st K.S.L.I. were in the same Brigade (16th). The Shrops. Regt. History records that the 16th Brigade had to make a detour round Holnon Wood, which had been captured by the 18th Brigade on the 16th of Sept., due to it being drenched it gas. The 16th Brigade attacked at 5.20 a.m. on the 18th Sept. from the north of the wood with its right on the crest of the high ground, where stood a strong point called Quadrilateral (not to be confuzed with the one near Ginchy on the Somme, which the 1st K.S.L.I. captured on the 18th September 1916), and its left was on Fresnoy. The 2nd Battalion York and Lancs were in the first wave with the 1st Buffs and KSLI in the second wave. Due to darkness and mist the Brigade became mixed, and only advanced 3,000 yards or so and failed to establish itself in Fresnoy-le-Petit. The K.S.L.I. renewed the attack the following day but the Regt. History does mention if other Battalions of Brigade took part.

I may have a map somewhere but its not a trench map but it may give you an idea of where Fresnoy-le-Petit and Holnon are.

Hi Annette and Bob

Thanks for your help with this.

The citation for my grandfather's MC mentioned "action near Fresnoy on 18-19th 1918".

So this is Fresnoy-le-Petit - (not le-Grand!). Thanks for that. Presumably the Battle of Epehy in which the 2nd York and Lancs took part in included Fresnoy-le-Petit. Interesting given the places are +20 kilometers apart. I can see that Western Front nomenclature and geography is going to be a trap for the unwary beginner.

Hi Don

Fresnoy-le-Grand may be near Fresnoy-le-Petit ?, I have not looked for the map of this area yet but near Bapaume there is a Achiet-le-Petit and Achiet-le-Petit and they are close to each other. I do not know French at all but it may be like the naming of towns here for example Church Stetton and just down the road is Little Stetton. I will try and find a map of Holnon Wood - Fresnoy-le-Petit for you.

Regards

Annette