Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI Battalions

shutt

Another forum member very kindly sent me a copy of the medal roll for my grandfather, Thomas Shuttleworth. On it, the units he served with are given in order as the 2/5th, 7th and 2/4th of the KOYLI. Several other KOYLI men are on the list too, nearly all have the same listing of units. Was the 2/5th changed in name to become the 7th ?. I know that the 7th was disbanded in early 1917, so presumably thats when these men went to the 2/4th. Also were all these part of the 62nd West Riding Brigade. I`ve checked out as many sites as I can, but my head is getting muddled now, getting very confused, so if anyone can help explain I`d really appreciate it.

Hi there,

Just to try and make things a bit easier for you, if you go up to the top of the page left to the Long long Trail and click it open, then go to the Army, then to the regiments and click open Infantary Regiments then scroll down to Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantary, ot Yorkshire Light Infantary then you will see the total of the Regiments Battalions and in there order the dates formed and disbanded.

Cheers Roger.

Thanks Roger. I probably did`nt explain too well. I have looked at the KOYLI info on the Long Long Trail, also a couple of other sites. What was puzzling me was that my grandad and a number of others started out in the 2/5th, then went to the 7th. I was wondering whether a block of men was transferred to the 7th for some reason, but can`t find anything regarding this. I know the 7th disbanded in early 1917, so guess thats how they came to go to the 2/4th. Sorry if I`m not explaining too well.

Hi there again,

2/4 and 2/5 where Territorial Battalions which where at first for home service, when the call came for more overseas men an awful lot of these second and third line men volunteered for it, so and I dont know for sure, but the 7th Battalion was a New Army Service Battalion so maybe they where transfered to beef up the training of the new men.

I'm sure an expert will be along to put me right and also help you more.

Cheers Roger.