Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancs Soldier - Josepg Sefton

BobScott

Hi,

Apologies have posted a request for info about elswhere on the GWF, but you never know.

I have done some research on my Grandfather Joseph Sefton B 1868 - 1957.

I have a record from Ancestry.co.uk stating he was regt no 2029 on attestation to the 1st Btn South Lancs in Oct 1886, but it mentions that he had served with the 4btn Liverpool Regiment (saying at the age of 18). Served in Home, Gibralter, Malta and Egypt, He was discharged in Oct 1898

Re joined ( probably reservists callup) in 1901 (went to the Regimental Garrison Regiment) given Regt no 124? He subsequently went to to Gibralter, Malta, Egypt and South Africa and was discharged in 1905 (regt No 8109) (1905 record), then joined South Lancs again to complete his colour service finished in 1906.

He then like so many others, joined up once more 1/10/1914 given Regt No 267813 (1914 record), (lied about his age, said he was 44, he had six children (one my mother) was posted to 3rd Btn South Lancs and later transferred to the Labour Corps, units 566 & 567 stayed in until Feb 1919.

Unfortunatly I have been unable to gather any information regarding the following:

What(if any) medals would have been awarded for all or any of his service?

Was he actually in the Liverpool Regiment?

Are there any photgraphs of the South Lancs?

Would love to find out more about him and his time in the South Lancs and RGR, have the documents for the above available if required.

Regards

Bob Scott

Bob

Can add a bit about Labour Corps - 566 and 567 were both Home Service Employment Companies stationed at Blackpool and Barrow in Furness respectively.

Their role would have been to support military bases, hospitals etc in the area.

Ivor

Hi Bob !

There is a book called Red Roses on the Veldt by John Downham ....

an excellent book on Lancashire Regiments in the Boer War including the South Lancs ! ( including photographs ! )

It will give you some background on where your Granddad was at that time !

Annie :)