Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alsace

Guest WALCKER

Can you be a bit more specific, please?

I go to Alsace regularly, for the food, the wine, the scenery, the mountains, the climate, the proximity to Germany, the language, the shops, the cheese, the friendly people, the happy news that there are no stand-up loos for women, the wine festivals, the Christmas Markets, the fact that you can find vegetarian food there, the beer, the castles, the walks through the vineyards, Strasbourg, the Rhine, the culture, the art galleries, the Unterlinden with the Isenheim Altarpiece and the Schongauers in Colmar...

oh and the battlefields of the Vosges and the Colmar Gap and the resulting cemeteries and necropolis.

It's almost my favourite place on the planet.

So..........?

Gwyn :)

I guess I am mostly looking for information about Americans at Alsace. As you can see William Heimbush my great great uncle fought there. He was with the 88th Divison in Company C, 352nd Infantry. I do believe it was during the month of Oct in 1918. Yeah i guess i should have been more specific.

Luckily for him there was little action in Alsace, the Vosges, after 1915, Americans were there to hold protions of the line in quite sections for training purposes. You could find more in American Armies & Battlefields in Europe ( 1938 ) and if you can't get at one let me know, will bring to work & let you know. Even very small actions and holding line are covered.

Nope can't say i can get at the book. Will appreicate the info though. All that i really know was that he fought there and it was a defensive sector and thats about it. But thanks again for the information.

Walcker

Contact Eric Mansuy through one of his articles on our website (see link above).

A French English teacher who wrote a private book on the subject of Americans in the Vosges and a nice bloke to begin with.

Regards,

Marco

Well I was not able to contact Eric because the e-mail address is wrong. I could be wrong though. But I got an e-mail from my e-mail service saying that the e-mail address is wrong. Oh well. Thanks for the help anyways.

Walcker

People shouldn't change e-mail adress so often :D

It has been corrected. Please try again.

His book is:

Mansuy, E. THE AMERICAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE IN THE VOSGES 1917-1919. 1998, 50 pages, 30x22 cm., Private Publication

Regards,

Marco

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the initial question.. Americans in Alsace... I just thought I'd share a recent story I learned of an American woman in Alsace in Dec 1918. Her name was Dorothy Connor and she had been a relief worker behind the Belgian and French lines after surviving the Lusitania in 1915. She was in Strasbourg in Dec 1918 with several of her aid worker friends and stayed at the HOTEL PFEIFFER am Bahnhofplatz. At the time the hotel was “changement de proprietaire _ raison Francaise” under new management because of the French 'occupation'. Dorothy also speaks of the exchange rate 10 pfenning for 2 sous.....

Its all very interesting. My connection to the story is that Dorothy's granddaughter has all these letters from 1915-19 from her grandmother and I am helping her make sense of the places, names, and events.

A little something about Alsace......