Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. CG Stuart DSC

Desmond7

Ignor with pic - I have one for my supplement but I can post if someone wants.

Maybe this is of some interest to naval pals?

with pic

Lieut. Charles Gage Stuart

Presented with the DSC

LT. Charles Gage Stuart, RN, was presented on Wednesday, by the King, at Buckingham Palace, with the Distinguished Service Cross for ‘meritorious service in connection with the sinking of the German Cruiser ‘Dresden’ on March 14th, 1915.’

Lt. Stuart is a son of Mr. William Stuart C.E. of Mount Earl, Ballymena and a brother of 2nd Lt.m W. G. B. Stuart of the 12th Btn Royal Irish Rifles (Central Antrim Volunteers), and 2nd Lt. Stuart, North Irish Horse.

He is also a nephew of the late Rear Admiral Leslie Stuart CMG and served with that officer in HMS Vengeance on the China Station during the Russo-Japanese war. Lt. Stuart’s seniority as Lieutenant dates rom 1st April 1909. When the war broke out he was serving on the cruiser Glasgow, on the south-east coats of America. He was in the action with Von Spee’s squadron on

November 1 in which the ‘Good Hope’ and the ‘Monmouth’ were sunk. The ‘Glasgow’ got away damaged on that occasion but lived to fight another day and Lt. Stuart had the satisfaction of being on board his ship in the engagement in which the Dresden was sunk of March 14th.

Ballymena Observer, February 18, 1916