Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Wagstaff RFA

mahonec

I am trying to track my Grandfathers war journey. I have found the MIC (attached) but am confused since we knew he worked with horses in the artillery, and had always thought he was in the RHA. He was a London Horse drawn omnibus driver before (and after) the Great war, and it was this experience with horses which led him to work with horses in the war.

The only thing I know was that he talked a lot about "wipers" - but I had assumed that all the soldiers went to Ypres. Mum thinks that she also heard him talk about Vimy Ridge.

Any help would be very gratefully received - I am new to all this and finding it hard to negotiate.

Thanks

Chris Mahoney

post-40590-1226937784.jpg

Hi Christine

WELCOME to the forum, He was a Gunner (Gnr) in the RFA. The guns were drawn by horses. Will look on Ancestry for his service records. Loads of experts will give you answers to where, when etc.

Regards Barry

Have checked , no service records but Pension records for a Herbert from Barrow in Furness Army Service Corps(267676).

Hi Christine

WELCOME to the forum, He was a Gunner (Gnr) in the RFA. The guns were drawn by horses. Will look on Ancestry for his service records. Loads of experts will give you answers to where, when etc.

Regards Barry

Have checked , no service records but Pension records for a Herbert from Barrow in Furness Army Service Corps(267676).

Thanks for that - no, I think his records must be in the 'burnt' records that were lost in WW2. Grandad was London born, bred, lived and died! Would still appreciate any help from any of the experts about the where's and what's of his journey. I have looked up Vimy Ridge, and this seems to have been mostly a Canadian Army offensive but with reinforcements from the British Artillery ( "the Big Guns") so that is quite a likely possibility.

Christine, with an outfit as large and complex as the RFA, it's no use guessing. The RFA were represented at every action the army fought and were along every inch of the line. Not easy without a service record but you really need to determine his unit in order to understand his movements. Perhaps one of our resident artillery experts can help with his number. The date of arrival in France may also give a clue.

Christine, with an outfit as large and complex as the RFA, it's no use guessing. The RFA were represented at every action the army fought and were along every inch of the line. Not easy without a service record but you really need to determine his unit in order to understand his movements. Perhaps one of our resident artillery experts can help with his number. The date of arrival in France may also give a clue.

Thank you for the advice - the problem being I only knew one RFA gunner , so I have no idea how large and complex the outfit was. What you say makes sense, of course, and it is very difficult for us in this generation to even comprehend the scale of things that went on then. Grandad died in 1972, when I was only 14, and I didn't have any interest in the war at all then, even if he were willing to share any of it. If only there were a way to ask him all those things now!

Will keep trying - and thanks for help and encouragement.

C

Hi Christine,

The date of entry suggests one of the brigades from the 14th (Light) Division, possibly the 48th Brigade RFA. I'm of the opinion that because Herbert has a high number so early in the war he was a regular as the numbering started again with the new armies and so pehaps a pre-war enlistment. The medal rolls held at the National Archives may list his unit, sadly these are only viewable in person. It may also be worth looking for the Absent Voters List (1918) for Herberts home area as this may also list unit details,

Jon

Hi Christine,

The date of entry suggests one of the brigades from the 14th (Light) Division, possibly the 48th Brigade RFA. I'm of the opinion that because Herbert has a high number so early in the war he was a regular as the numbering started again with the new armies and so pehaps a pre-war enlistment. The medal rolls held at the National Archives may list his unit, sadly these are only viewable in person. It may also be worth looking for the Absent Voters List (1918) for Herberts home area as this may also list unit details,

Jon

Thanks for those tips, Jon, I will add them to the list next time I make the trip to Kew. I am fairly sure Herbert did not join up till the war started, but probably early on from what I know of his ethics. Sadly we dont have any way of corroborating the medal roll - except that this is the only Herbert "V" Wagstaff I can find, (there are several Herberts) and I do know he was in the artillery. With no service record, presumably in the burnt series, we are working mostly on suppositions.

Thanks for your time and help - it is much appreciated.

Chris