Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell casing identification help

Countrygal

Here are the casings all together - ends up

post-32635-1226943099.jpg

Hope this picture will work better

also they are about 9.2 cm long (from under lip to open end) and about 3.5 cm in diameter

Thanks

They are German 37mm cannon. The famous Pom Pom.

Here's a photo of the complete shell including a cutaway version.

Gunner Bailey

post-8629-1226953630.jpg

Easy one

It's a British Mills 36 M Mk 1 from WW2. Lever made by Chatco, baseplug by S Joseph Stokes. Nice condition, but looks to be missing the striker, which would normally poke out of the hole in the top and engage with the lever.

Gunner Bailey

There is something that rattles inside, we believe might be the striker - but we are not to sure how to get it out… if it is at all possible without damaging it. :blink:

What would this 37 mm cannon look like? was it used on land or air or both...?

The 37mm Cannon was a land and ship based gun. Too big for the aircraft of the time. There are photos of them on this forum if you do a search on Pom Pom or 37mm. They were made before aircraft were invented but became a useful anti aircraft gun.

The 37mm shell and cases were one of the most popular souvenires brought back as they were very portable.

The thing rattling inside the Mills may well be the striker and spring. Access is via the base plug. There should also be an aluminium sleeve in there called the centrepiece. This is where the spring and striker live

Follow this link to see how they work.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/grenade2.htm

If they are there you will need a screwdriver to push the striker and spring back into place with the striker top coming out the top of the grenade. There it links into the lever and the whole lit is held in place by a 2mm diameter split pin.

PM me if you need more help.

Gunner Bailey

Re the shell cases, are the years at the right-hand side the year of manufacture? If so, then the case bottom right was in store from 1897. Or would it have been re-used several times perhaps?

Re this latter date, why is the Mark number (IX) this high, when the case made in 1904 is only Mark VIII?

John.

The Roman numbers are not mark numbers but the month of manufacture, in this case September and August.

Three of them have been reloaded at least once, indicated by the punch mark on the head, and the same three were all German Navy issue as shown by the crowned "M" (Marinen) in the headstamp.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks so much -- I have had these for quite some time and knew nothing about them except they were casings and from WW1. When looking into my grandfathers WW1 records I have also dug these out and it added to our curiosity. I have one last casing that is very large, (well I think it is) 23 cm long – 7.5 cm in diameter. Someone made them into souvenirs waiting for their return to Canada.

post-32635-1227012111.jpg

This long bar like object has always been inside -- any idea if it actually has anything to do with this casing?

post-32635-1227012124.jpg

Marni

Thanks so much -- I have had these for quite some time and knew nothing about them except they were casings and from WW1. When looking into my grandfathers WW1 records I have also dug these out and it added to our curiosity. I have one last casing that is very large, (well I think it is) 23 cm long – 7.5 cm in diameter. Someone made them into souvenirs waiting for their return to Canada.

post-32635-1227012111.jpg

This long bar like object has always been inside -- any idea if it actually has anything to do with this casing?

post-32635-1227012124.jpg

Marni

Hello, Marni - The long bar-like object is a device used for polishing buttons. The button goes into the center slot and can be polished without getting the cloth dirty. Regards, Torrey

Marni

The 'trophy' is a nice quality piece of Trench art made from a German shell case. It looks a bit long for a standard 77mm shell, but it is unusual. I have a similar piece, but yours looks to be better quality than mine. The button polisher is a very basic one. There are more elaborate ones with half moon cut outs.

Gunner Bailey

I have sent a better picture of the end identifications. Does anyone have any idea what might have fired this shell?

post-32635-1227098433.jpg

As a whole piece it must have been rather large.

Thanks, Marni

I have sent a better picture of the end identifications. Does anyone have any idea what might have fired this shell?

post-32635-1227098433.jpg

As a whole piece it must have been rather large.

Thanks, Marni

Hello, Marni - This is a 77mm shell case for the German 77mm FK 96 n/A field gun - the most common artillery piece in the German Army during WWI. The shell case's original dimensions were 77mm x 230mm. Regards, Torrey