Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Yorkshire Regiment Query

bridgetfreer

I have followed all the advice on searching for soldier details but seem to have come to a dead end.

The soldier concerned is Joseph Barrass 28496 from the East Yorkshire Regiment. His Medal Card says he was a Serjeant 1914-1920 but there is no trace of him in the online service records. I therefore can't find out what battalion he was in or any other information.

Old stories say that he rode horses and went away to be trained with them. Also that he was in the Paris sewers. He received a facial injury at one point but again I don't know where to research this and find out more.

I would love to find out exactly what path he took during the war years and would appreciate any help you can offer...

bf

Post the details from the Medal Card,particularly the letters and numbers against the medals issued,it will help to solve a few things.

Sotonmate

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

No information on Joseph but his number suggests he joined East Yorkshire Regiment July 1916 and joined the 8th Battalion with a large draft 20/01/1917. The 8th Bn Disbanded Feb 1918 he wasn't on the Regimental role then though, so could be wounded prior to Feb 1918.

Speculation but hope it helps.

Regards Charles

bf

Post the details from the Medal Card,particularly the letters and numbers against the medals issued,it will help to solve a few things.

Sotonmate

Thank you for your quick reply and your help...

Details on the Medal Card are..

Victory 0/1/102625 2620 A 925-5

Further down on the left on a blank line....

WB List 0/5269/1

Many thanks

Bridget

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

No information on Joseph but his number suggests he joined East Yorkshire Regiment July 1916 and joined the 8th Battalion with a large draft 20/01/1917. The 8th Bn Disbanded Feb 1918 he wasn't on the Regimental role then though, so could be wounded prior to Feb 1918.

Speculation but hope it helps.

Regards Charles

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly Charles. This is really interesting information.

Might you be able to help me with a few more questions?

Would it be worth me looking in the book you recommended "The East Yorkshire Regiments in the Great War"?

He apparently went to Newmarket to train with the horses. Is this something you have heard of?

Is there any way of finding out about his facial injury? Are there any records kept anywhere?

Many thanks

Bridget

Bridget,

"The East Yorkshire Regiments in the Great War" will give you an overview of the 8th Battalion during the time Joseph was with it.

Newmarket would be were the soldiers went to learn how to work in the Battalion Transport Sections so he could well have been in that section.

I am not too sure about the records for the Injury I cannot find any Service Records on Ancestry so they could have been destroyed during the Second World War.

Not wishing to step on Sotonmates toes it looks as though he was awarded a Silver War Badge so the injury could well have caused his discharge. Im sure Sotonmate will let you know if any records to answer your questions are available.

Regards Charles

Bridget,

"The East Yorkshire Regiments in the Great War" will give you an overview of the 8th Battalion during the time Joseph was with it.

Newmarket would be were the soldiers went to learn how to work in the Battalion Transport Sections so he could well have been in that section.

I am not too sure about the records for the Injury I cannot find any Service Records on Ancestry so they could have been destroyed during the Second World War.

Not wishing to step on Sotonmates toes it looks as though he was awarded a Silver War Badge so the injury could well have caused his discharge. Im sure Sotonmate will let you know if any records to answer your questions are available.

Regards Charles

Thank you for your advice.

My mum has come across two important documents;

One is a certificate of Disembodiment on Demobilization.. dated 13th March 1919

This shows he enlisted on 12th Nov 1915 for East Riding Yorkshire Yeomanry also served in Officers Cadet Battalion.

There is also a certificate of discharge...

Brit War Medal cherrous two blue

Victory Medal

Wound Stripes - One

Enlisted at Hull on 11.11.1915

"He is discharged in consequence of being surplus to military requirements having suffered impairment since entry into the service Para 392 (XVIa)KR after serving three years 133 days"

Age on enlistment 20 6/12

Do you have any information on the East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry and the Officers Cadet Battalion? I would like to be able to find out his journey during these 3 years.

Once again, many thanks for all your help.

Best wishes

Bridget

Bridget,

Fantasic having the documents, does it mention the East Yorkshire Regiment and which Battalion? The 8th Battalion War Diary Monday 22nd Jan 1917 says 'A draft of 65 men (Yeomen) arrived today'.

There has been a book published about the "Yeomanry of the East Riding" Hutton Press ISBN 1 872167 47 0. If you post for information on the East Riding Yeomanry, there is a chap on the forum who researches it his name is 'NeilH'

Do you have any more information on the 'Officer Cadet Battalion a number maybe?

Who was he serving with when he was discharged?

Regards Charles

Bridget,

Fantasic having the documents, does it mention the East Yorkshire Regiment and which Battalion? The 8th Battalion War Diary Monday 22nd Jan 1917 says 'A draft of 65 men (Yeomen) arrived today'.

There has been a book published about the "Yeomanry of the East Riding" Hutton Press ISBN 1 872167 47 0. If you post for information on the East Riding Yeomanry, there is a chap on the forum who researches it his name is 'NeilH'

Do you have any more information on the 'Officer Cadet Battalion a number maybe?

Who was he serving with when he was discharged?

Regards Charles

I have tryed to attach copies of the documents for you to look at Charles but even when compressed the files are too big for the forum. Do you have any other suggestions for getting a copy to you?

I hoped you might be able to pick up something I've missed. Other than that I don't have any other information - I will definitely follow your yeomanry lead though..

Thank you for all your help.

Best wishes

Bridget

Bridget,

Sorry about the delay, I have had a look at the documents to no avail I'm afraid, they do not say any more than you have determined.

Regards Charles

Not to worry - thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I have had no replies to my yeomanry query as yet... hopefully someone will answer soon!

Best wishes

Bridget