Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th Div. Mem. - Warwickshire

Terry Carter

There is a memorial service being held this Sunday coming, 14 March, at the 29th Division Memorial situated on the Traffic roundabout near Stretton-on-Dunsmore, South Warwickshire.

This service is held yearly on the nearest Sunday to the 12 March and is organised by the Galipolli Association. The 29th Division formed up in South Warwickshire and trained until being shipped out to Galipolli.

On 12 March, 1915 the Division was inspected by the King.

I will be there with my digital camera, so expect a few piccies (max 600 pixels width) next week.

Terry

Thank you Terry - I am currently discovering the number of local men who served at what the papers then called 'the Dardanelles' - some of them certainly formed paret of the Division.

Des

• 3 weeks later...

There was a short piece about this in the Rugby Advertiser of 25 Mar 2004. Also photo, but I can't do that!

It says the spot mentioned by Terry was "where 18,000 men and 6,000 horses of the 29th Division set off on Mar 12th 1915 to undertake an ambitious assault on the Turkish peninsula of Gallipoli ...

The troops landed on five separate beaches on April 25th and at the time it was the largest operation of its kind to be undertaken against modern weaponry ...

During the campaign soldiers suffered appalling conditions of heat, lack of water, rain and sub-zero condiitions, and 250,000 Alied lives were lost."

No individual names mentioned.

I expect Terry has more to add, with his photo.

VivP

and 250,000 Allied lives were lost

...which of course is bunkum. There were 265,000 Allied casualties, not dead. Of the 213,000 British casualties on Gallipoli, 145,000 were due to sickness; chief causes being dysentery, diarrhoea, and enteric fever.

Chris

Thanks for the facts! Trust the local paper to get it wrong. It does make me wonder how other 'facts' - in official documents - are also wrong.

Hoping Terry has time over the weekend to get his photos on here.

VivP

A newspaper getting the facts wrong! It couldn't happen, could it?

Is this another example of the casualties/deaths mix ups, other threads refer to this being noted over the casualties on 1st July 1916 in articles written in more recent times.

Ali

Also looking forward to any photos posted.

Hi all

Sorry in the delay in posting the piccies. The Sunday morning was very cold and the wind was howling around the traffic island where the memorial is sited. Just as the service got under way it started to sleet.

The service was organised by the Gallipoli Association also in attendance was the Mayor of Rugby and representatives of the Royal British Legion, the Western Front Association Taff Gillingham and members of the City Batts Great War Living History Group. About fifty people in all turned up.

post-19-1080903713.jpg

This was taken a few minutes before the service started. Elizabeth Higgins (Heart of England WFA) can be seen talking to Taff Gillingham. The Royal British Legion Standard Bearers had to keep a tight hold of their flags and berets were flying about all over the place.

Despite the weather it was a good service and the Last Post bugler did an excellent job.

Terry

post-19-1080904497.jpg