Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/8825 Cpl. Hamblin, I. C., 2nd Bn. The Buffs

peter.hamblin@tiscali.co.u

My Grandfather L/8825 Cpl. Hamblin, I. C., 2nd Bn. East Kent Regiment (The Buffs) Was awarded the MSM in the campaign in Salonika London Gazzette 30 jan 1919 has anyone any information about the salonica action

many thanks

maritimapete

Ivan Clarence Hamblin joined The Buffs in February 1908. He went overseas with the 2nd Battalion and returned to India with them after the war - one of only 21 men to do so. He re-enlisted at the end of the war and was given number L11651 and later 6278997 in the 1920's. His 1914/15 star was returned on 31/8/1928 and reissued on 3/11/1928.

The best book to read on Salonica is Under the Devil's Eye by Simon Moody and Alan Wakefield. For the Buffs interest you should read the Historical Records of The Buffs by RSH Moody (no relation I don't think) which is available as a reprint by Naval and Military Press.

Mick

Ivan Clarence Hamblin joined The Buffs in February 1908. He went overseas with the 2nd Battalion and returned to India with them after the war - one of only 21 men to do so. He re-enlisted at the end of the war and was given number L11651 and later 6278997 in the 1920's. His 1914/15 star was returned on 31/8/1928 and reissued on 3/11/1928.

The best book to read on Salonica is Under the Devil's Eye by Simon Moody and Alan Wakefield. For the Buffs interest you should read the Historical Records of The Buffs by RSH Moody (no relation I don't think) which is available as a reprint by Naval and Military Press.

Mick

Hi Mick

Thanks for the information my grandfater died on 30/8/1928 (from influenza) are you able to advise why his 14/15 star would be returnd and later re-issued of all the medals he had this happens to be the only one i dont have - i have had to use someone elses as a temporary fix. Aslo apart from the gazzette entry and a leter from his aunt to his cousin i have no further informationas to why he recieved the MSM

Many thanks

Maritimapete