The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered today

stiletto_33853

Interesting to see that he died in Cairo, but was buried in Palestine. Not exactly repatriation, but one imagines his family preferred him to be buried there rather than in Egypt. I wonder whether there were other such cases in the Middle East, or even perhaps in Europe (died in France, buried in Belgium, or vice versa).

Perhaps someone can help me out here. I'm researching a man (or trying to!) who also died of wounds from the same battle. I'm confused by the terms "Bucks Yeomanry" and "Royal Bucks Hussars", I take it from the above that they were definitely the same regiment. Was there an official name change at some point?

stilleto - Major de Rothschild is listed on the War Memorial at Wing, Bucks, which can be seen on our website. Another photograph of him can be seen there. His parents lived at Ascot House, Wing, one of the many Rothschild houses in the county.

Would you be willing for us to use the photo shown in your post, on our website and also the write up? If so would you send me a PM?

June

Hi June,

PM sent, not a problem if it helps his remembrance.

Andy

Perhaps someone can help me out here. I'm researching a man (or trying to!) who also died of wounds from the same battle. I'm confused by the terms "Bucks Yeomanry" and "Royal Bucks Hussars", I take it from the above that they were definitely the same regiment. Was there an official name change at some point?

The Long Long Trail has the following http://www.1914-1918.net/bucks.htm

The Cavalry Index lists them with the title Royal Buckinghamshire (Yeomanry) Hussars (1908 - 1952), so it looks like a name change brought on by the re ordering of the Yeomanry withthe introduction of the Territorial Force.

http://www.militarybadges.org.uk/badges/cava7.htm

Thanks - it explains a confusion with Arthur, my mystery man, as he is reported in the local paper as serving with the Berks Yeomanry. I am currently writing up what little I know of him, and the picture of Major de Rothschild appeared as a coincidence. Perhaps they knew one another. May they both rest in peace.