Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

B Battalion 1,2,3 Sections Tanks at Messines

glennr

Hi,

I am doing some research on the Heavy Machine Gun Corps used at Messines in June 1917. In particular, I am interested in finding out the names of the tanks and some of their crews that were attached to II Anzac Corps. I am aware there is available information on the tanks during Cambrai but it is Messines I am more interested in.

I would be most grateful if someone could provide this info (along with its source) in relation to the following tanks;

No.2 Section: B/6, B/7, B/9 and B/10 (names & crew?)

No. 3 Section: B/11, B/12, B/14 and B/15 (names & crew?)

No.4 Section: B/16, B/17, B/18, and B/19 (names & crew?)

No.5 Section: "H.M.S. Lucifer", "Rumblebelly", "Our Emma", and "2005" (what were their letters/numbers?)

Also, any information on any of the other tanks attached to IX and X Corps during Messines would be most appreciated, as would any information on tanks and their crew that were disabled or destroyed during the offensive.

Thanks

Glenn

I will have a look thro` the copies of the "Tank Corps Journal" but as these have no index it may well take some time!

best regards John

Hi I have the medals to Capt John Allan who was killed at Messines Ridge on 9 June 1917. He was previously at the Battle of FLers with C Batt.

If anybody can let me know his tank I would be grateful.

He was killed in the opening assualt

17Tankman

That's wonderful news! I always hope that First Tank Crew medals are held by those who are aware of their story.

Stephen

After the battle, B Battalion tank commanders were asked to draw sketches of their tanks showing what damage had been inflicted on them. These (at least a good number of them) are preserved at The National Archives in Kew. Many are works of art! In most cases the commanders have gone to a great deal of trouble and show also the markings on the tanks. If these are to be believed, very few tanks of B Battalion at Messines carried names. This is supported by the captions given to the drawings, which refer to the tanks by their manufacturer's numbers and not by names.

I would also point out that the standardised naming system, with tank names starting with the Battalion letter, was not introduced until after Messines.

Gwyn

I will have a look thro` the copies of the "Tank Corps Journal" but as these have no index it may well take some time!

best regards John

That would be fantastic, thanks John.

Regards

Glenn

After the battle, B Battalion tank commanders were asked to draw sketches of their tanks showing what damage had been inflicted on them. These (at least a good number of them) are preserved at The National Archives in Kew. Many are works of art! In most cases the commanders have gone to a great deal of trouble and show also the markings on the tanks. If these are to be believed, very few tanks of B Battalion at Messines carried names. This is supported by the captions given to the drawings, which refer to the tanks by their manufacturer's numbers and not by names.

I would also point out that the standardised naming system, with tank names starting with the Battalion letter, was not introduced until after Messines.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn. I wasn't aware of the name introduction until after Messines.

I'm most interested in these sketches that are available at Kew and particularly those of the sections of B Battalion I mentioned above. Do you know the names of the B Bn Commanders and some of the numbers attributed to the likes of B6, 7, 9, 10 etc. How would a Kiwi go about getting some specific info or copies from these sketches?

Kind regards

Glenn

Hi I have the medals to Capt John Allan who was killed at Messines Ridge on 9 June 1917. He was previously at the Battle of FLers with C Batt.

If anybody can let me know his tank I would be grateful.

He was killed in the opening assualt

17Tankman

Thanks Tankman. I assume you already have the info obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves site that informs us that Capt Allan was of B Btn, and was awarded the Military Cross.

Do you know the names of any of his crew that were with him on that fateful day in June 1917?

Kind regards

Glenn

Glenn

I only know the names of the tankers when he won the MC in B Batt at the first tank battle.

I am going to the NA and hopefully will find more info.

Simon