Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

L10040 LCpl. Hamblin, Cecil. C., 1st Bn. (The Buffs)

peter.hamblin@tiscali.co.u

L10040 LCpl. Hamblin, Cecil. C., 1st Bn. (The Buffs)

was my Gt Uncle Killed during the first world war. Was a lance corporal 1st Btn The Buffs East Kent Regiment died 20 Oct 1914 aged 22

Remembered at the PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL, Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium, Grave reference Panel 2

i have seen a letter in which he was killed at Fille Will ** can anyone advise where this is

Many Thanks

Maritimapete

• Admin

This tels you where 1st Buffs were around that time, so where you are looking for may be in the Radinghem area.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HalnRKd...result#PPA49,M1

Regards, Michelle

Hi Pete,is 'fille wil-- ' your reading ?,if so maybe you could post a scan of that part of letter for others to decipher.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

am new to this have tried using the insert image icon above but no success - any hints of another way

thanks

pete

Inserting an image is a 3 stage process

1. Make sure you image is small enough to come within Forum limits (100kb)

2. When making a new post, first upload your image to the Forum (see the box Attachments, Browse and Upload buttons). This area and functionality does not appear if you use FastReply.

3. Then add it to your post. (click manage Current Attachments).

Inserting an image is a 3 stage process

1. Make sure you image is small enough to come within Forum limits (100kb)

2. When making a new post, first upload your image to the Forum (see the box Attachments, Browse and Upload buttons). This area and functionality does not appear if you use FastReply.

3. Then add it to your post. (click manage Current Attachments).

Hi Chris many thanks

Pete

Cecil hamblin joined The Buffs in mid 1913. He went overseas with the 1st Battalion on 7/9/1914. I have no idea what the reference is and would like to see the letter. On October 20 1914 the Battalion were in a desperate situation trying to hold on to the perimeter of Radinghem. They lost 21 men with 123 wounded and missing.

Mick

Cecil hamblin joined The Buffs in mid 1913. He went overseas with the 1st Battalion on 7/9/1914. I have no idea what the reference is and would like to see the letter. On October 20 1914 the Battalion were in a desperate situation trying to hold on to the perimeter of Radinghem. They lost 21 men with 123 wounded and missing.

Mick

Hi Mick

Have re-visited the record (and used the magnifying option) the document is in the the military section of Ancestory.com document nos 28690 and 28691 i think it is in the district of Lille ??

I still cannot make out the name of the person who wrote the letter though

many thanks for the info above

Yours sincerely

maritimapete

Just had a look on Ancestry. The letter is signed:

J Price, Pte

1st Batt Buffs

There are no more details on the place of death apart from "in the district of Lille".

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Just had a look on Ancestry. The letter is signed:

J Price, Pte

1st Batt Buffs

There are no more details on the place of death apart from "in the district of Lille".

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Many thanks for your information

Yours sincerely

Maritimapete