Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KRRC diary look-up please

Bardess

I think I have just posted in the wrong area but don't know how to change it so I will post here too.

Having just read all about the exhumation process that took place between 1919 and 1921 (which was quite a sobering document to digest) it has lead me to wanting to know where my GU Jeffrey was and if his last battlefield was exhumed. As he died of his wounds it makes me think that it took him a couple of days to die - hence wanting to look at the diary entries between 13 and 22 August.

I haven't seen many posts regarding 11th Bn so I hope there is a diary out there somewhere. Thanks in anticipation.

Diane

Hi Diane,

here's an extract from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme' that covers the period of August 1916,

Bois de Warnimont (7/8), Beauval (18/8). Entrained at Candas for Mericourt (20/8) and from there marched to Meaulte. To Citadel Camp (21/8), trenches opposite Guillemont (22/8). Enemy attacks repulsed (23/8) and (24/8). Relieved and to old German front line.

The actual war diary for the battalion can be found in WO 95/2115 at the National Archives, sadly it's not available online, but you can request certain parts, a base cost of £8.50 gives 10 pages which usually works out around a month or more worth of diary.

If you think that your great uncle was exhumed post-war you can contact the CWGC as they should hold a map reference from where the body was exhumed from.

Jon

Thanks for the info of the Bn movement Jay. I was actually hoping that a forum member might have a copy of the diary and email the relevant parts to me. We can but hope.

If his body was exhumed what was the process. Would his name still be on Thiepval (I'm very dumb on these matters)? Would immediate family have been notified?

Diane

Hi Diane,

are you saying that great uncles name is on the Thiepval Memorial? I believe that there were three periods of exhumation carried out after the war, the last just prior to the outbreak of WW2,

Jon

Hi Diane,

are you saying that great uncles name is on the Thiepval Memorial? I believe that there were three periods of exhumation carried out after the war, the last just prior to the outbreak of WW2,

Jon

Hello Jon, CWGC clearly states Jeffrey's name is to be found at Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Name: SHAKESPEARE, JEFFREY ROBERT

Initials: J R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 22/08/1916

Service No: R/239

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

post-15884-1226925162.jpg

Regards. Jarvis.

I Like the avitar Diane :lol:

He may have had a decent burial shortly after his death, the grave marker may have been lost during fighting/shelling over the same ground and he still lies there undisturbed or the body was fragmented and became part of the battlefield. It could also be that he was brought in during or after the war without any ID and now lies in a nameless grave,

Jon

It is sad to think that he may still be on the battlefield. I hope to visit Thiepval one day and would have really liked to put some flowers on a grave and know that he was there. Ah well :(

And thank you Jarvis for the plan of Thiepval

You mentioned my avatar.

Sometimes you have to smile don't you. After reading the exhumation thread, which really bought home the magnitude of size and statistics, it made me smile. After all, because of their sacrifice, we live in a state of freedom.

Hi Diane,

I have some friends whos great grandfather is remembered on the Memorial to the Missing at Menin Gate. Each time they visit they leave a wreath and a poppy cross at an un-named grave. It must have been very difficult for families left behind not to have a grave to visit, for some a name on a headstone is final and can help heal the wounds caused through this kind of loss. There are some 300 Commonwealth graves at Thiepval of which 239 have no name. Also the cemeteries surrounding the area where your great uncle died may contain the graves of unidentified KRRC men,

Jon

I try and smile all the time Diane :D

Jon

I can't imagine either being a mother, father, sister, brother, wife and not being able to go to your loved one's last resting place.

I was sent a map of Guillemont and along with this was a message saying that there were 3 graves;No 1 and No 3 were named and dated but No 2 had no name. Incredibly the dates were 21/8/16, 22/8/16 and 23/8/16.

This info gives me chills.

Diane

Bah, I'm limited in size of attachment

post-39423-1226927748.jpg

How uncanny is that, I can see why it's given you a chill. He could be your great uncle, we'll never know and if you can I'm sure you will pay a visit there.

A quick search shows only 14 casualties for the KRRC (all battalions) on this date, only 2 for the 11th Bn, so a 1 in 14 chance that he's you great uncle. I'll have a look through the scant notes that I have for the KRRC and see what other battlions were in the area at this time,

Jon

CWGC cares for all the commonwealth graves which are all in cemeteries I believe, many service men stayed in France after the war to care for their fallen comrades.

I think most farmers would inform the authorities if they found a body or grave, although I'm sure that many have been ploughed back into the land.

Jon

Jon

Beautiful part of the world. I'm sure many happy hours have been spent inside your workshop/shed. Thanks once again. I'll let you devour the rest of the posts on the forum now.

Cheers

Diane

• 6 years later...

Hi Diane

I propped a remembrance day cross for Great Uncle Jeff in a tree opposite the front line from where they were positioned on the night of August 22nd 1916. When I went back a couple of years later the tree had been felled. The cross however had been securely screwed to an adjacent tree, presumably by the farmer whose land it was. Nice touch.