Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Map Request July 1917 (28.O.24)

claymore

Would anyone be able to help me with a German map for time frame July 1917 in the area of Pillegrems Farm, south of Ypres, near Houthem?

This would be in the vicinity of 28.O.24

Thanks,

Kim

post-357-1226923511.jpg

Thanks - this is great.

The Germans notified British authorities that they had buried my grandfather's cousin (Lt Fotheringham) and his pilot (2Lt Gleed) at 28.O.24.d.0.8. Are you able to pinpoint that reference, so that I can compare the British map reference where Gleed was found in 1921 i.e. 28.O.23.b.9.9? Thanks.

Kim

Ah - that's why I didn't quite understand the map reference you first mentioned - they're british map references!

Anyway - 28.O.23.b.9.9 is depicted by the green square and 28.O.24.d.0.8 is depicted by the black square...

post-357-1227002523.jpg

• 2 years later...

A belated thanks for sending the two maps - German and British.

I recently found a letter from the Adjutant-General, Canadian Militia to the father of Lt Fotheringham, dated 18 March 1922, in which he states that "it is known that your late son was brought down in an aeroplane with Lieut. J.V.A. Gleed, of the Royal Flying Corps, who was buried by the enemy at a point approximately 300 yards South of Pillegrems Farm, which is about about 3/4 of a mile due West of the Village of Houthem, Belgium, and records reflect the information that the body of this latter officer was exhumed and reburied in Wytschaete British Cemetery."

"Information received from enemy authorities indicates that the body of Lieut. Fotheringham was also buried in the locality in which the burial of Lieut. Gleed was first made."

That would be the black box noted in the British map, 300 yards south of Pillegrems Farm.

Problem is that CWGC records indicate that Lt Gleed was found 1200 yards to the NW, at the green square.

Would be interested if anyone has any theories on how the 1922 information could be off? Could the Germans have given an initial grid reference based upon their maps, and the British incorrectly translated it to their maps?

An interesting situation ...

Thanks to anyone that has an idea.