Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sherwood Foresters puzzle

mikebriggs

As many of you know I have a great interest in the 6th Battn Sherwood Foresters and over the last few years I have been gathering together a collection of photos for a 'Pictorial History 1908-1915'.

Anyway, thought that I had two unconnected photo's...........but maybe not B)

The first is taken in 1912 at the Annual Camp in Wales. It was sent by 'HDR' in Bakewell to Miss Turnall. I think that ‘HDR’ might be Sergeant Henry D Rye, who was an architect by trade and lived at 47 Castle Street in Bakewell.

post-4619-1226868552.jpg

The second photo I think is taken at annual camp in Scarborough (where else is that flat B) ) and shows a Maxim Gun Section

post-4619-1226868818.jpg

.........and on those two photos is this man.......

post-4619-1226868956.jpgpost-4619-1226868968.jpg

do you think he's the same man (and he might even be 'HDR' B) ) ??????

Looks the same guy to me, his left ear (on our right) appears to be exactly the same on the 2 photos, his nose also suggests to me it is the same guy

Hi there,

I'm certain he's the same man, cheek bones and fold under the eyes, in particular under the left eye are identical. and the dimple in the chin.

Best regards

Hello again,

Are ther others in the photo which look identical as well, (or have I been looking at this for to long)!!!

Regards

Dear both

thanks for the confirmation; I think he's same fella too B)

CT, as for the others, I've not really thought about that but you might be right.

On the first photo I cut off a horse, makes you wonder why they had a horse in the photo and if it is the Machine Gun Section in both pictures taken in 1912 and 1911 respectively.

Will have another look in detail

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
As many of you know I have a great interest in the 6th Battn Sherwood Foresters and over the last few years I have been gathering together a collection of photos for a 'Pictorial History 1908-1915'.

Anyway, thought that I had two unconnected photo's...........but maybe not B)

The first is taken in 1912 at the Annual Camp in Wales. It was sent by 'HDR' in Bakewell to Miss Turnall. I think that 'HDR' might be Sergeant Henry D Rye, who was an architect by trade and lived at 47 Castle Street in Bakewell.

post-4619-1226868552.jpg

The second photo I think is taken at annual camp in Scarborough (where else is that flat B) ) and shows a Maxim Gun Section

post-4619-1226868818.jpg

Here is your man again as you rightly say taken at camp some three miles south of Aberystwyth in 1912. I am not 100% certain but I think it is Sgt Barker of the 6th Battalion. He appears several times in group photos I have, taken at different camps and as you can see his footware in one picture is a little on the casual side. regards, BRONNO.

It was sent by 'HDR' in Bakewell to Miss Turnall.

Could it read "Turrall"?

Henry Davis RYE (born Helmsley Q2 1880) married Jessie TURRALL (born Coventry Q4 1890) in Daventry district in Q1 1913.

A son, Henry E, was born in Bakewell in Q2 1914.

Adrian

Dear BRONNO and Adrian

Thanks for the replies B)

Just got back from NA today and was looking through Henry D's service record.

Adrian, yes it is Jessica Turral, you're spot on mate ;) which means he sent the post card to his fiance ie HDR to MissTurral; they married in 1913 by the way

BRONNO, I'm pretty certain it is Henry D Rye (for above reason) but also I think that these are picutres of one section of Machine Gun crew. HDR went to Hythe (sp?) in 1908-1911 for MG training. I think that I know which Barker you mean...will get back to you on that.

cheers

Mike

Bronno

Are you thinking that it might be 166 William Barker?

He was in D Comapny and 16th in Queens Prize at Bisley 1912, which might explain the second photo (ie sat with gun and medal) ?

But he was promoted Colour Sergeant in May 1911 and this guy seems to be a sergeant??

cheers

Mike

and you're right he got his best dancing shoes on B)

Bronno

He was in D Comapny and 16th in Queens Prize at Bisley 1912, which might explain the second photo (ie sat with gun and medal) ?

But he was promoted Colour Sergeant in May 1911 and this guy seems to be a sergeant??

cheers

Mike

Not too sure myself now but I thought this was 166/240017 Barker DCM (MID) but I will have to try and look a little bit deeper into my records. :blush:

Bronno

cheers

Mike

If he were a CSGT, the small crown could easily be behind the rifle.

And, if he was such a good shot, why no musketry badge lower left sleeve. I will check to be sure TF were eligible for these badges.

166 William Barker was awarded a proficiency badge in 1903

post-4619-1227977506.jpg

and his record of service

I'm taking "CO Sergt" as Colour Sergeant, but maybe its Company Sergeant?

post-4619-1227977646.jpg

That is Colour Sergeant. 'Proficiency' was a 4 point star worn above rank by Sgts and above of the VF.

A couple of the photographs show a five point star lower right sleeve. These were [depending on when] for 4 or 5 years 'Efficient' service, ie. attendence for prescribed training.

166 William Barker was awarded a proficiency badge in 1903

post-4619-1227977506.jpg

Hello Mike, I have identified who the man is in your two pictures (and mine). It is Sgt J Needham of the 6th Battalion. The picture of him with the shooting trophy was taken at camp in Scarborough 1911. I have also identified 166/240017 Sgt William Barker DCM in a group photo as a QMS out in France in 1916. BRONNO.

Hi Bronno

Thats sounds like good progress. I am assuming that you mean 468 J Needham (enlisted April 1908) and Awarded TFEM in 1913.

But why do you think that its him?

cheers

Mike

Hi Bronno

Thats sounds like good progress. I am assuming that you mean 468 J Needham (enlisted April 1908) and Awarded TFEM in 1913.

But why do you think that its him?

cheers

Mike

I have an officially named photograph with regards to Needham taken at Scarborough Camp in 1911. In fact I noticed you were trying to identify the DCM winner in one of your old posts, at that period there is possibly only two DCM winners with the 6th Battalion that I can pin down and they are Seaton and Roberts. I'm still not 100% certain that your photo is Seaton he looks a little young and also fuller in the face. It is definitely not Roberts as I have his medals and photographs of him taken at camp with Seaton. Roberts was later a Captain overseeing the men of the 2/6th prior to them leaving for the troubles in Ireland in 1916. BRONNO.

Hi Bronno

with regards to Needham

But doesn't that mean someone has sent the photo to Needham ? are you really sure

As regards Seaton here is photo with his medals

post-4619-1228430987.jpg

and medal entitlement

post-4619-1228431242.jpg

So by 1909 (when photo was taken) he should be wearing DCM, QSA and KSA (and not LSGC) and this matches the photo I think?

cheers

Mike