Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Electric Fence

Guest Hill 60

I have just seen a photograph on another website which purports to show a Belgian youth who has been killed whilst trying to cross an electric fence between Belgium and the Netherlands, the fence was supposed to have been put in place by the Germans.

I have never heard of this before, I'm not saying it wasn't there it's just I've never seen it in the books I've read on WWI.

My questions are:

1. When was this fence put up?

2. How far did it go?

3. Was this sort of technology used on the front-line?

With regards to question 3; if it wasn't used, why not? I can understand the problems of generating the power and keeping the wires connected in the face of shell-fire etc, was there any other reason?

The electric fence was built along the whole Belgian-Dutch border, it is my understanding it was built pretty soon, end 1914, beginning 1915. I've got pictures from units that were guarding the Dutch border early 1915 and the fence was there already.

I don't suppose it was used in the front-line, because it was very complicated to build and electricity lines could be destroyed easily by artillery fire. Besides, the Germans were short of coal etc to produce electricity. Although, perhaps on quiet parts of the front? Allthough I've never read about this.

Jan

This fence is mentioned in the book "The Prisoners 1914-18" by Robert Jackson.

Guest John Orfei

Lee, as I was checking web- sites to find more about the Belgian youth, who was electrocuted, while trying to escape to the Netherlands during the first World War. I came upon a this Web Site.

WWW.decx.net/greatwar/ children.

It does include information about this youth, and a photograph after his demise. However, the web site really deals with children from many nations who became soldiers( UK and Germany ) Most of the pictures are from the World War time line. I know that it is off the original topic but I found it deeply moving. I think some members would find the site very intriguing. I wait your review(and others) of this site.

Regards, John

• 1 year later...

I thought the fence was built by the Dutch gov't... which may be addressed in one of the links reference. I also thought the little enclave of Baarle-Nassau was completely surrounded as well.

Andy

There is a museum of this fence.

Have a look on the WFA website under the list of places to go put there by the Luxembourg branch (me), to get the details.

Hello Andy,

No we didn't. The Germans did. Being known for our reluctance to spend money the electricity billl alone would have been enough reason not to. :D

Regards,

Marco

Prof. A. Vanneste wrote an article (140 pages) on this item, the electric fence, the whole border between The Netherlands and Belgium. The article comprises also lots of photos of this fence.

Gilbert Deraedt :angry:

I couldn't access the site even when I removed rogue space after forward slash.

WWW.decx.net/greatwar/ children

I shall try again

Anthony Farrar

Landsturm... Thanks for the link, very interesting pictures. I don't understand the Baarle-Duc issue though. If the fence was built by the Germans, and that appears to be the case, how was the tiny enclave surrounded? It would seem the only was is for the Germans to cross Dutch territory, which never happened. One of the pictures on the link is a German killing a father in Baarle-Duc.

Perhas its justa detail I am trying to get straight in my mind.

Andy

one thing was for sure:

the Belgian who went from Belgium to England to France and then fought in the trenches were brave men. That because:

- Surviving the Ulhan patrols along the fence

- Surviving the high voltage fence

-Surviving the marechaussee or not beeing arrested and putted in a Dutch concentration camp

- Surviving the boat trip to England

- Surviving the trip to France

- Surviving the trenches

Who said we were cowards? ;)

Going from Belgium to Holland was dangerous buisiness for sure.

The enclave 'Baarle Hertog ' was not occupied during ww1 by the German Army.

The Dutch themselves built a barrier around both enclaves, Baarle-Hertog and Baarle-Nassau, in order to keep their country neutral.

Gilbert Deraedt ;)

Dutch concentration camp

'Dutch Interment camp' Kritstof. Might look like a slight change, but ever so important distinction in perception :D

Regards,

Marco

I am sorry to say Marco. I have many nice Dutch friends. :unsure:

But some camps were certainly not so much better than the British Boer war concentration camps. There are witness stories of starving Belgians and other "bad" things, like no medical help.

Beeing there was no fun at all. Some Belgians say that even German POW camps were better than some Dutch camps.

Don't forget that a lot of Dutch were German minded those days, certianly in the east. But i don't know if that can be a reason.

Anyhow it is history now... ;)

Kristof,

History is what we are here for. The fact that I am Dutch and you apperently have a lot of Dutch friends and you are Belgian has nothing to do with you being wrong:

But some camps were certainly not so much better than the British Boer war concentration camps

The fact all Belgians returned and a lot of Boer's didn't proves you are wrong. Add to that that in the Boer war women and childeren underwent the same faith as the men while in WW1 Holland wives and childeren were allowed to come over from Belgium and live FREE in Holland where they liked is also a rather large difference, don't you think?

Do you think the Boer's put up memorials to thank the British for 'housing' them? The Belgians did for the Dutch.

I kindly suggest you do a bit more reading like Roodt, E. de OORLOGSGASTEN – VLUCHTELINGEN EN KRIJGSGEVANGENEN IN NEDERLAND TIJDENS DE EERSTE WERELDOORLOG. 2000, 464 pages, 26x18 cm., Europese Bibliotheek before you make any more comments that are incorrect and can be considered highly offensive.

Food was scarce at the end of the war and not only the refugees and internees had hunger. This was a big reason b.t.w. why the early enthousiasm for taking care of the refugees and internees was almost gone at the end of the war: more mouths to feed.

Regards,

Marco

Marco,

sad you are looking only to the good site. One book is not the proof of reallity.

I knew a veteran who was imprissoned. He told me personaly what he have seen and experienced. No fun at all. <_<

And also quote myself if i say SOME camps.

If this history is hihgly offensive, why talking about WW1 then? Maybe the Germans find this forum also highly offensive? Or the Brits because we talked about the Boer war? May we not mention the terror in Belgian Congo? I have no problem with it, it is the true history. ;)

I hope that you are open to different views and not stiffheaded. It is history.

Not much historians will say their country made some mistakes...

i know the book, written by a dutch woman, with a Dutch view ofcourse...

http://www.historischhuis.nl/recensies/recensie65.html

And the woman free? certainly not everywhere, they sometimes were obligated to stay in the place they were "given", that is not freedom to me:

From a Dutch website:

http://www.wereldoorlog1418.nl/vluchteling...itairen-vlucht/

But look at this as an example:

http://www.iisg.nl/collections/refugees/belgiannl.html

In English:

http://www.iisg.nl/collections/refugees/belgian.html

With no meaning to offend you,

just to let you be critical about history and who that tells it.

greets,

kristof

Kristof,

Of course history isn’t black and white, it’s all sorts of grey.

But let’s get back to the original discussion: if you in 2004 (with knowledge of Nazi-Germany) deliberately (I noted the difference between Dutch CONCENTRATION camps and German POW camps) use the word concentration camp for Dutch internee camps (even 'bad' ones) then the only worthy reply would be one that falls outside forum rules. I am tempted, but won’t go there on this occasion.

Regards,

Marco

Marco,

the word concentration camp wasn't so bad like the German camps BEFORE WW2.

A concentration camp PRE WW2 was a place were people were concertrated on a small place. Post WW2 it was to the people equal to extermination and terror. :(

I agree on the fact that nowerdays it sound more terrible. But then it was the common name for internee camps. By the way the word camp was also changed during the war to 'vluchtelingsoord'= refugee resort.

Hearby my apologies if this was offensive.

And i am glad you don't see it black and white.

I am sure that discussing these items can learn us new items, views, facts?

cheers,

kristof