The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Aubers Ridge

AKEY

Hello,

My name is Phillip Akester (Akey), I'm 11 years old. I would like to know as much about the 'Battle of Aubers Ridge' as possible. My 4 times great uncle was in that battle, I have done a lot of research on him but not on Aubers Ridge. Please can someone help.

Cheers

Akey

image019.jpg

P.S. I've only found one picture.

Hi Akey.

There is a book called Aubers Ridge in the Battleground Europe series of books printed by Pen And Sword Books,It costs about £9.99.Also if inform the Forum as to what unit your fella was in someone may be able to tell what he was doing at the time of the Aubers Ridge battle.

Best Regards Andy

Akey - as well as the Battleground Europe book mentioned by Andy above, there is a also a book about Aubers Ridge called "A Serious Disappointment" by Adrian Bristow. I've got both, as my wife's Great Uncle Henry was killed there.

Once we know your GGGGUncle's unit, I'll see what there is in the books that might be of interest to you.

Alan

Hi Akey.

There is a book called Aubers Ridge in the Battleground Europe series of books printed by Pen And Sword Books,It costs about £9.99.Also if inform the Forum as to what unit your fella was in someone may be able to tell what he was doing at the time of the Aubers Ridge battle.

Best Regards Andy

Hi,

Thanks Andy for your quick reply, I shall try to get my hands on that book. I have put the info we know about him on the 'Soldiers' section of the forum if you want to look at that. Its under 'Henry Collins' and there are quite a few that I've put on in one night.

Cheers

Akey

Akey - as well as the Battleground Europe book mentioned by Andy above, there is a also a book about Aubers Ridge called "A Serious Disappointment" by Adrian Bristow. I've got both, as my wife's Great Uncle Henry was killed there.

Once we know your GGGGUncle's unit, I'll see what there is in the books that might be of interest to you.

Alan

Hi Alan (MagicRat)

Thanks for your reply, it's good to know about all these books! My GGGGUncle was in the 2nd Battn of the King's Royal Rifle Corps when he was killed, 9 May 1915.

Cheers

Akey

Akey,

I was going to link you to the main site http://www.1914-1918.net/wf.htm and then to the Aubers link within that http://www.1914-1918.net/bat11.htm but I see that it is down for maintenance/reconfiguration to fit the new site format.

However, if you put Aubers Ridge into the Google Advanced search as an exact phrase you can see right at the top of the list www.1914-1918.net/bat11.htm but go for the cached version (be sure to click on 'cached') which is without maps. This is the version of the page from the Long Long Trail (of which this Forum is part) that Chris Baker has taken down to reconfigure. This may give you enough for the moment. When this page is replaced, it will give you an excellent account of the battle.

There is a book called A Serious Disappointment about the battle. It is nearly 200 pages and is written by Adrian Bristow. Although it is on my shelves, I have not yet read it and so can't comment on how accurate or fair an account it is but it looks to be a reasonably accessible account in terms of the language that it uses. You may be able to get it through your local library. There are certainly quite a few pictures although some seem to be of a general nature rather than specific to Aubers Ridge and the picture of the concrete pill box (an impressive series of which is on the ridge today) is misleading as it was not there in 1915 (although in fairness the text might make that clear)

Another link that comes high in a Google search is here However, you need to be careful. This seems to be written as part of a family history page and is not necessarily a balanced account of the battle written by experts (my apologies to any forum member whose site it might be but the point I am making is that one needs to be careful with internet sources). However, I will agree with most people in saying that the Aubers Ridge battle was not a success at all.

Ian

Hi Akey. To give you a taste of what you will find in the books. There were 3 battles fought in the same area within a few months of each other in 1915. Neuve Chapelle, Aubers Ridge and Festubert. They were all fought with the intention of occupying Aubers Ridge but all failed. Aubers Ridge was a 1 day battle, a total failure with heavy losses with no gains. There is a Battleground Europe book for Neuve Chapelle and also one for Fromelles which was fought by Australian troops in the same area a year later.

Hi Akey. To give you a taste of what you will find in the books. There were 3 battles fought in the same area within a few months of each other in 1915. Neuve Chapelle, Aubers Ridge and Festubert. They were all fought with the intention of occupying Aubers Ridge but all failed. Aubers Ridge was a 1 day battle, a total failure with heavy losses with no gains. There is a Battleground Europe book for Neuve Chapelle and also one for Fromelles which was fought by Australian troops in the same area a year later.

Hello,

Thanks for all the info on Aubers, again it's really helped. Do you know any other regiments or corps in the battle?

Thanks

Akey

Can't do it right now but I'll restore my page about the battle, some time tomorrow. It gives you all the units and just about everything you need to know!

And Aubers a success? What? It was possibly the least effective attack in terms of results that the British made in the entire war.

Can't do it right now but I'll restore my page about the battle, some time tomorrow. It gives you all the units and just about everything you need to know!

And Aubers a success? What? It was possibly the least effective attack in terms of results that the British made in the entire war.

Hi Chris Baker,

I'll be on tomorrow, I'm sure of that, and thank you for the info. Can't wait to hear from you.

Cheers

Akey

Akey,

This from a War Diary of the period.

8th May 1915-An attack on German positions near FROMELLES by 7th and 8th Divisions was decided on.8th Division was to capture enemy trenches in front of RUE PETILLON.7th Division was to carry on the attack,22nd Infantry Brigade forming advanced guard of 7th Division.Battalion in Brigade moved by night to Assembly Trenches behind RUE PETILLON.

9TH May 1915-Attack by 8th Division-Battalion remained in Assembly Trenches all day and moved back with remainder of 22nd Infantry Brigade to bivouac at ROUGE DE BOUT.

George

Hello,

Thanks for all the info on Aubers, again it's really helped. Do you know any other regiments or corps in the battle?

Thanks

Akey

When Chris puts up his info, that will give you a lot to work on. These battles involved a large part of the BEF. Indian Corps and 1st corps in N.C. for instance. Regulars and TF battalions side by side.

Akey,

8th May 1915-An attack on German positions near FROMELLES by 7th and 8th Divisions was decided on.8th Division was to capture enemy trenches in front of RUE PETILLON.7th Division was to carry on the attack,22nd Infantry Brigade forming advanced guard of 7th Division.Battalion in Brigade moved by night to Assembly Trenches behind RUE PETILLON.

9TH May 1915-Attack by 8th Division-Battalion remained in Assembly Trenches all day and moved back with remainder of 22nd Infantry Brigade to bivouac at ROUGE DE BOUT.

George

Hi dycer

Thank you for the info on the attack, I can't beliveyou got it from a War Dairy. Thanks again.....

Akey

I think my masterly British understatement and my unwise use of the word 'most' may have caused this problem.

I wrote ...

"However, I will agree with most people in saying that the Aubers Ridge battle was not a success at all."

I was commenting on another website with less than balanced language as being not necessarily the place from which to learn of the disaster of Aubers whilst saying that it was indeed not a success.

To be specific for the record, it was exceptionally unsuccessful. The lessons of the necessity of concentration of artillery that could have been learnt from the earliest stages of Neuve Chapelle were not applied. Was there last week in deepening gloom lost in a maze of country roads and tracks between Neuve Chapelle and Aubers!

Ian

Akey,

George

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply. It is a large jump for us. Thanks again

Akey

Thread already running here...(clickety click)

Jon

I believe my grandfather was wounded at Aubers ridge in May 1915,he actually died on May 16th of wounds,he was Pte Robert Davies 19452 2nd Bn East Lancs Reg't and is buried in Wimereux cemetery,wherever that is? Can you help wit more info on his final days etc?

I believe my grandfather was wounded at Aubers ridge in May 1915,he actually died on May 16th of wounds,he was Pte Robert Davies 19452 2nd Bn East Lancs Reg't and is buried in Wimereux cemetery,wherever that is? Can you help wit more info on his final days etc?

Alan,

See thread 2nd. Bn., E.Lancs under UNITS AND FORMATIONS

Cliff

Alan,

See thread 2nd. Bn., E.Lancs under UNITS AND FORMATIONS

Cliff

I am over the moon on all the links and info from this forum,have sent it all off to my kinfolks in Australia..Thanks guys!! Alan

Here's another link for you,Alan.

Aubers/Fromelles

My G/U died the 16th May too but a wee bit further west at Festubert.

Was your bloke hit on the 9th,or later?

Dave.

Akey,

If you pass me an email address I can send you a document about another regiment who fought there, namely the 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers, it has maps as well. It's in a pdf format.

Steve