Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Royal Rifle Corps

AKEY

Hi there,

I see that there is a lot of information being passed regarding Aubers Ridge and the KRRC. I'm trying to research the following soldier and would be grateful for any help.

Walter Alfred Walmsley ist Bat KRRC 11937 KIA 10th May 1915 rem on Le Touret Mem He was born in Jersey in 1897 so he would have been either 17/18 years old.

Once again I would be be very grateful for information on the war diaries or anything that will lead me in the right direction.

He had a brother Lackford (some times Lockford) John Walmsley (some times Walmsey) who was also in the army M/305770 ASC.

Chers,

Alan

Hi Alan

From 1911 Census, when he was 14, he was an errand boy who lived at Roslyn Cottage St Saviours Hill, Jersey

From his MIC he landed in France on 29th Nov 1914, and his Medal Roll for his Victory and British War medals are M/101 B13 page 1704 and for his 15 Star M/3B page 106

SDGW have him enlisting in Jersey

His Service Records do not seem to have survived.

I am afraid I do not have their WD pre 1916, would suggest a fresh post to try to find more info

Paul Nixon's great site on Army No.s would indicate an August 1914 enlistment http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/kings-royal-rifle-corps-regular.html

Hope this helps

Jim