Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MEDAL ROLL REFERANCE { FAIRLIE GORDON }

Fairlie

Hi my Grandfather Fairlie Wallace,D-O-B 1882, served with The Gordon Highlanders 1914 -1920 regiment no;S/2327 { i don,t no his unit yet }

Embarkation Date, 4 Jan 1915 ,Theatre, France & Flanders

details from his Medal Index Card ,i have not found his Service Record { but still looking }

The British War/Victory Roll Referance;G/101/B2,page 296

1914-1915,Star Roll Referance;G/7B2,page 643

In these Referances, could the { G stand for Gordon Highlanders, and the B2, stand for 2nd Bat.

if anybody can help,i would be very greatfull

also he was 32 years of age in 1914 ,would he have been a volunteer ,or a conscript.

Best Wishes Fairlie Gordon

Hi Fairlie

I don't think they are as you describe.

If you go to the Long Long Trail button top left of this page there is a section about researching there which contains how to interpret the medal cards and that explains about these numbers.

Conscription did not come in until way later on in the war. He will be a volunteer or possibly was serving when war broke out/called up from reserves. Ancestry are not up to W yet with Service records.

Hywyn

Hi Fairlie

I don't think they are as you describe.

If you go to the Long Long Trail button top left of this page there is a section about researching there which contains how to interpret the medal cards and that explains about these numbers.

Conscription did not come in until way later on in the war. He will be a volunteer or possibly was serving when war broke out/called up from reserves. Ancestry are not up to W yet with Service records.

Hywyn

Hi Hywyn ,thanks for the reply

Cheers

Ancestry are not up to W yet with Service records.

Hywyn

Fairlie,

If you want to check if your relative's Service Records are present and can't get down to Kew, you might be able to use the services of one of the Family History Centres of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

Check this thread for details:

Seeking the Service Records of a family - At the Church of the Latter Day Saints

Cheers,

Mark

"The British War/Victory Roll Referance;G/101/B2,page 296

1914-1915,Star Roll Referance;G/7B2,page 643

In these Referances, could the {G stand for Gordon Highlanders, and the B2, stand for 2nd Bat.

if anybody can help,i would be very greatfull."

The Gordon Highlanders came under the Perth Records Office the code for Perth was G. B is part of the code for the BWM & VM.

You have G/101/B2 this is G=Perth, 101= Gordon Highlanders ,B2 =Vol number page 296. B2 covers B/Vols 1-3 pages 1 to 303. This is then put in to a new code for the Medal rolls at Kew NA.

G/101/B2/296= WO392/1652 this is the Vol you would order at Kew.

for the Star 1915 = WO329/2802

As for his battalion without seeing the medal roll and hes was in France Jan 1915, 1st, 2nd or 6th Bn.

As for his battalion without seeing the medal roll and hes was in France Jan 1915, 1st, 2nd or 6th Bn.

And you can rule out the 6th since it was the 1/6th and men serving with a territorial battalion at this stage of the war would not have the 'S' prefix.

Stuart