The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte A W Tipler 89347 9th Btn Machine Gun Corps

Stephen Tipler

Researching my great uncle who was KIA on 16 April 1918 in the Wyschaete area near Ypres. Killed alongside 7 other members of 9th Btn on that day including T/2Lt John Francis Turnly. This is all I know about him apart from the fact he is commemorated on Tyne Cott. Any info greatly appreciated.

TT

There is a War Diary at Kew Archives for the 9 Bn MGC under WO95/1757,which runs from Mar 1918 to Sep 1919. You will be able to read of your GUs last few weeks of action there. If you can't get there you can pay for a download from the National Archives Digital Express service. It costs 8.50 per 10 pages.

Sotonmate

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: Alfred William TIPLER

Regiment, Corps etc.: Machine Gun Corps

Battalion etc.: (Infantry).

Last name: Tipler

First name(s): Alfred William

Initials: A W

Birthplace: Kingsthorpe, Northants

Enlisted: Northampton

Residence:

Number: 89347

Date died: 16 April 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 7865, NORTHUMBERLAND REGT.

From SDGW

Ellie

post-30902-1226702681.jpg

Here's his MIC (Medal Index card)

Ellie

Name: TIPLER, ALFRED WILLIAM

Initials: A W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/04/1918

Service No: 89347

Additional information: Son of Elizabeth Arm Tipler, of 58, Stanley St., Semilong, Northampton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 154 to 159 and 163A.

Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

post-30902-1226702681.jpg

Here's his MIC (Medal Index card)

Ellie

Thanks for that Ellie i have downloaded and will keep it forever.

TT

Hi TT

Am reserching my great uncle of the 9th Bn MGC who went missing on the 25th April 1918 around the St Eloi area just outside Whytsceate!! will pass on all info should you require!!

Mike

Edited by mikereme

Thanks Mike look forward to hearing from you.

TT

TT

There is a War Diary at Kew Archives for the 9 Bn MGC under WO95/1757,which runs from Mar 1918 to Sep 1919. You will be able to read of your GUs last few weeks of action there. If you can't get there you can pay for a download from the National Archives Digital Express service. It costs 8.50 per 10 pages.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that i have sent for quote today.

Regards TT

• 2 weeks later...
Tommytip said:
Thanks Mike look forward to hearing from you.

TT

Edited by mikereme

• 3 years later...

After a break of nearly 4 years (i can`t believe it!) i am starting this research again, i would like to know more about my uncle`s service in the Northumberland Regiment but i cannot find anything about this regiment did they mean the Fusiliers? According to SDGW he served with them prior to joining the MGC, also can i find out when and where he enlisted and when he left the UK for F&F. Look forward to making a start and hopefully some more progress this time round.

• 7 months later...

My Grandfather, Lt Edward Terence Burke,(Northamptonshire Regiment - ex Loyal Regiment) was with with 9Bn and was killed on 25 April 1918. That he died on this day I know, what I don't know is how - can any one help?

Preferences

§

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

/

shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Polski

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

Tommy,

May have some more info on the Tipler's if you are still interested? There is a link to an Albert Tipler who was killed from my village - Ravensthorpe.

Will let you know what I have when I can get to my computer.

Ant

Ant

Haven`t been on this forum for a while but i am still interested in the Tiplers thank you. I hope there is a link to the Ravensthorpe village as my ancestors came from Semilong so you never know! So i will look forward to hearing from you as any info is very welcome as i have very little.

Steve

Steve,

if you PM me I can send you a spreadsheet I was luck to get my hands on from another chap who is also interested in the Tiplers and the Johnsons.

Looking at the tree he has put together there is a link with my Albert (Alfred) Tipler of Ravensthorpe - Private 43663, 1st Essex Regiment formerly 22849 Northamptons; his sister lived in Semilong - 51 Baker Street.

You may have more information that will make a positive link - thought I'd cracked it but not 100% now.

Think your Albert's mother's name should read Elizabeth (maybe Eliza?) ANN (not Arm?) Tipler.

Convinced there must be a link.

ANt

• 8 months later...
Guest MarkMordey

Hello - I have been chosen by the British Legion/Commonwealth Graves commission to remember your uncle, Private Alfred William Tipler, as part of the every man remembered scheme they have just started. It was initiated by what a twelve year old girl said at one of the fields of remembrance that some graves have lots of flowers yet some have none - so just to let you know there will be a tribute put on your Uncle's memorial in the Tyne Cot memorial. Thanks. Mark Mordey

Nice touch - like it.

Ant

• 3 years later...

Hi All, I know this is a little late in the conversation but it came up in my Google search for Edward Burke.

I have just returned from a visit to Ypres and the surrounding area  - on a research trip and family holiday to follow in the footsteps of my G Grandfather, William Smalley Smathers who was reported missing & subsequent death accepted on 25th April 1918 whilst serving with the 9th Bn Machine Gun Corps during the Spring Offensive (4th Battle of Ypres) defending Kemmel HIll.

I have spent several years researching him and having obtained his service records and the 9th Bn War Diary I was lucky enough to locate where he died  - in the fields surrounding Kemmel. I have walked and cycled the area where he served and died and felt humbled to walk in his footsteps.

Whilst on this journey I visited various museums and War Graves - locating several other MGC soldiers and my interest is in those who served with and died on the same day as William which includes Edward Terence Burke (weirdly my maiden name is Burke), Peter Fowlie Cruden and John William Johnson.

I came across Peter Cruden's grave in the area where my GGrandfather fell , next to 2 graves of unknown soldiers and this was quite an emotional experience. I came across the names of Edward and John at the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery visitor centre.  I would now like to research these men further.

I have the war diary for 9th Bn and I know, with these now being easy to obtain, you may well have this information too but I would like to connect with anyone who may have additional information on these men - it is likely that my Great Grandfather knew these men and was with them when he died.

Regards

Catherine

(I am also a member of the Machine Gun Corps Old Comrades Association)

• 4 months later...

Hi Catherine,

I am researching my great uncle who was reported missing 25th April 1918 (9th Bn MGC) he was in the area of St Eloi...giving Fire Support the the 9th Scottish Div....I have finally located his position...he was A COY.....

• 2 months later...

Hi Catherine, I am the Grandson of Edward Terence Burke, I know most of my Grandfather’s military history from being born in Galway and his career from The Loyal Regiment to his commission in the the Northhamptonshire Regiment where he was attached to the Machine Gun Corps.

Tom

ps my name is Burke