The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Another Cap Badge

valnick@btinternet.com

Going off the colour of the cap I'd say we're looking at a member of the VTC here.

The colour may be misleading as I have messed about with the photo in order to improve the image - obviously it is an old photo and some of the glue with which it was originally stuck into an album has come through ontot he image. Here is a slightly larger version together with my great uncles - RFA and East Lancs. Does that help?

post-40343-1226683816.jpg

Home in on the cap badge and resize it and we'll be able to tell you better, but even looking at this group and seeing that he appears to be wearing the leather pattern buttons then I'm still of the opinion it's a Volunteer unit.

It has; as Graham rightly states the appearance of an enamelled VTC Cap/Lapel Badge,could be a "Trophy of Rifles" in an enamelled riband which if IIRC was a London??? VTC Battalion??{I believe there is this badge in K&K}

I am so sorry but some of this is lost on me......the gent in question is my great grandfather who was 53 when war was declared. The photo, taken with 2 of the 4 of his sons who served, must be early war as George, the one on the right, died on the first day of the Somme and was away from 1915. I have always understood that he lied about his age. My mother says he was a Pioneer. More family heresay is that he went to France and met up with Fred, his other son in the pic, and they got drunk on red wine together. presumably if he was VTC he would have stayed in England but, as the war wore on, could he have been in something else? What is K and K? he lived in Blackburn, not London. Have had a go at the cap badge, it looks like it has squiggly writing on it...any help gratefully received!

post-40343-1226693977.jpeg

sorry "K&K" is Kipling & King the Badge Collectors Bible,in 2 Volumes it depicts most Badges worn on British Army Headress from the early 19th to late 20th Centuries!

I havent got my copy to hand but it could well be Blackburn VTC

14th Kings Hussars,or Essex Yeomanry ?

Absolutely not. I too believe that he is VTC hence the odd cut and hue ofthe uniform. Being an older man that would tie up with a Volunteer Trg Unit.

post-4655-1226695666.jpg