Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

87 Field Company RE

kerry

Dear All,

498388 Sapper Cook A.W was killed on 17 Oct 1917 and is buried at Rouen CWGC.

Could anyone advise where his unit saw action and which Div it was under, and also whether it was engaged at any time from 1914 to 1917 in the defence of the Ypres Salient? Many thanks

Kerry

Hi Kerry

The 87th Field Coy R.E. were with the 22nd Division until Feb. 1915 when it was transferred to 12th Division. This Div. went to France/Flanders at the end of May 1915.

12th Div. Engaged in following operations up to Oct 1917:

Battle of Loos Oct 1915

The Quarries (Hulluch) Oct. 1915

Hohenzollen Craters March 1916

Battle of Albert July 1916

Battle of Pozieres Ridge July-Aug 1916

Battle of Transloy Ridges Oct 1916

First Battle of the Scarpe April 1917

Battle of Arleux April 1917

Third Battle of of the Scarpe May 1917

Attack on Devil's Trench May 1917

Next big battle was at Cambrai In Nov. 1917. I do not know were the Division was during October 1917.

Annette

Many thanks Annette for this very helpful reply - it seems my relative may not have been in the Ypres salient after all, and is unlikely to have visited Toc H in Poperinghe. Thanks again.

Kerry

Hi Kerry

I have just had a look at Passchendaele The Day by Day Account by Chris McCarthy to see if there is any mention of the 12th Div. but there was none.

Hopefully someone else can give you details of where the Division was between May and October 1917.

Annette

Annette, is it possible to find out which unit or division a Pte 19511 C L B Sturgess Royal Engineers soldier was attatched to? Your info to the above question was quite in depth, I would be very grateful. Chris.

Hi Chris

I have the order of Battle of all the British Divisions so could give breif details of 87th Coy R.E. movements, via its Division.

I do not know if the R.E.'s Victory medal roll gives a mans unit (s), like the Infantry rolls do. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Annette