Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Regimental War Memorial Maindy Barracks

robertb

The War Memorial outside Maindy Barracks, Cardiff, 'only' has the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Welch (Welsh) Regiment inscibed upon it. I have been wondering for some time why this is.

If not all the 34 battalions, then perhaps those associated with Cardiff, namely the 11th (Cardiff Commercials) and of course the 16th (City of Cardiff) battalions should have a mention.

Any ideas.

;)

I'm not an expert and stand to be corrected but 1st and 2nd would have been the 'regulars' whilst the 6th was the Territorial Force. Most (all?) the others would I guess have been 'service' battalions formed for the war only.

Knowing the army and its traditions I dare say that these 'amateurs' were not deemed worthy of a permanent memorial with the regulars? (no disrespect intended).

I have a cunning plan for the Swansea Battalion (14th) but whether it will work remains to be seen! (doesn't involve the Cardiff barracks...)

Bernard Lewis

This exclusivity is not only Welch Regt. Regular soldiers [ie pre war enlistments] of 2RWF refused to allow 'hostilities only' men SERVING IN 2RWF to join the Old Comrades Association! Never mind other battalions of the regiment.

Perhaps it was a Welsh thing [joking here!]