Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia Maps, etc

Guest David Humphrey

Guest David Humphrey

I have some original maps relating to the Battle of Ctesiphon, originating from my grandfather (died before I was born), who was the SSO (Secret Service Officer) with the Cavalry Brigade, VI Div, IEF"D".

His hand written legend on it says:-

"Owing to arrival of heavy Turkish reinforcements, our own heavy casualties, and low state of river rendering navigation practically impossible in enemy country the VI Division retreated, fighting, to Koot (sic) and were beseiged there, surrendering on April 29 1916. The Calvary Brigade fought their way out and were not in the seige."

"These maps are original issues, of which there can be few left, and were found by me in my map case in 1930".

The 2 maps are at 1":1mile, one covering Bagdad and to the SE along the Tigris ("No 26"), and two to the SE ("24A" & "24B") headed "Ctesiphon Position". Trenches, gun emplacements, terrain mobility, etc are marked on them.

These are not for sale (so please don't bother even trying), but may be useful as original source material for genuine historians of the campaign.