Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 12.11.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 12th November.

CSM James HONEY

2307 Royal Garrison Artillery

Died 18.07.15 Age 62

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Pte William Kelly WILL

241689 1st Bn, Gordon Highlanders

Died 26.09.17 Age 19

Commemoration: Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

NOT FORGOTTEN

CSM HONEY is another case from the ‘In from the Cold Project’. He was found dead near South Hook Fort, Milford Haven. (Volunteer: Peter Woodger)

Pte WILL was put forward on 26.10.08 on behalf of member, kinnethmont and he will relate the story.

241689, Pte William Kelly Will was born on 11th December 1897 at 5 Ugie St., Peterhead, Aberdeenshire to James Will and Mary Ann Will ms Kelly. His

brother David Kelly Will also fell in action ( he too is missing in the field ) in April 1917 and is listed by CWGC. William, like his father, was a Cooper to trade.

The service number 241689 was in a series allocated to the 5th Battalion (T.F.), Gordon Highlanders, his local recruiting battalion of the regiment.

It is understood that William was attached to the 1st Gordons at his death.

On the morning of 26th Sept 1917 the 1st Gordons began an advance on Zonnebeke during Third Ypres. A subsequent casualty report in the press listed a dozen men of the 1st Gordons, including Pte Will, as wounded and missing in the field. In a list in December 1917 all of them except William were listed as missing, presumed killed. He was still listed as missing. All of those shown as missing with Will on the Casualty List are later listed as Killed and are commemorated on the Memorial to the Missing at Tyne Cot. It appears William has been missed out or his fate not confirmed at that point. Early in 1918 his father received official confirmation that his son had died, on or since, 26th Sept 1917.

Despite this, somehow his name was not made known to the IWGC by the War Office or the Regiment.

It was realised by a family member earlier this year that his name was not on the CWGC records and my advice was sough and enquiries began.

Luckily, someone had taken his paybook from his body and so his Informal Will survived in the Scottish Archives. It, along with an accompanying letter

from the War Office dated 4th Nov 1918 confirmed his number, unit, NOK with date and place of death.

I was also able provide further confirmation of his death and service from the dependants pension

records. These confirmed the NOK and that they received a payment for both sons. Although William's date of death is not given this can be

established from the other records.

A case was made and the details submitted to CWGC on my behalf by Terry Denham. [ Thanks Terry ]

Twelve days later, on Armistice Day, we were informed that his death had been accepted by MOD as a war death and today his details have appeared on the CWGC Debt of Honour Register.

In time his name will be added among those of the missing at Tyne Cot. William will finally be reunited with the Gordon Highlanders who fell in action with him 91 years ago.

My thanks are also due to Carolyn Morrisey (Carolm) who had the intital contact with the family of Pte Will and directed them to me. It was a privilege to be able to help the soldier's elderly nephew have his uncle recognised.

wm-k-will.jpg

241689, Pte William Kelly Will

MISSING NO MORE

Well done to all involved in these non-coms ;)

The In From The Cold Project is vitally important work and I would like to personally thank you all (T.D,J.H & Co). I know there are only a very few of you doing this tedious, boring and mundane work (but just look at the fantastic results). You should ALL be very proud of yourselves...

What a lovely photo of William WILL. Thanks for posting it. You're right - Missing No More (thanks to YOU). :D