Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minden Post

Peter Beckett

The following is an extract from WO95/1669- 22nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment for the month of July 1916.

5th In billets resting at BUIRE. Reinforcements arrived.

to

11th

11th Marched to the CITADEL and bivouacked

12th At the CITADEL

13th 8.15pm Marched to bivouacs near MINDEN POST. 2 officers joined for duty

14th 3.0pm Battalion moved up to MAMETZ WOOD – 91st Brigade being in Divisional reserve to remainder of Brigade who attacked German 2nd line and BAZENTIN LE PETIT

I am referencing Trench map 62D NE2 and have found the CITADEL but have had no luck with BUIRE or MINDEN POST.

Peter ;)

Peter,

I have a War Diary reference to Buire-Sous-Corbie as follows:

[62 D N E.]

10th Weather fine.

Throughout the day, at intervals the enemy put up his usual barrage.

1 a.m. During the night of 10/11 “A & B” Coys were relieved by the 1st NEW ZEALAND RIFLE Bde. In CARLTON & SAVOY TRENCHES. The Coys marched independently back to Bivouac Area at F 13 A.

Casualties, 1 O.R. killed & 5 O.R. wounded.

F. 13 A.

11th 11 a.m. Weather fine. The Battn. proceeded to BUIRE-SOUS-CORBIE and went under canvas.

BUIRE

12th Weather fine. Coys cleaning up etc.

2/Lt RUSSELL rejoined the Battn from Base where he had been instructing drafts for the last 2 months.

I don't have my Trench Map CD to hand, but does the reference F.13.A help? This extract is from September, 1916.

Regards,

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for that. I wll look it up on my CD so that's one down and Minden Post to go.

Peter

Minden Post is just off the Albert to Peronne road close to the village of Carnoy. Captured German troops were filmed close to this spot soon after the July 1st attack. It is often referred to in war diaries with the same kind of regularity as the Citadel. I am unable to assist with map references though the Mametz/Carnoy trench maps should help you out.

I have visited the locations on a number of occasions but there is little evidence to confrim the high level of activity that these areas would have attracted.

Best Wishes

Jason

Minden Post and the Citadel are not one and the same place; Minden Post was just astride the Peronne road, as mentioned, but the Citadel was well behind our lines on the other side of the ridge from Bois Francais. There is nothing to be seen of Minden Post today, which is surprising when you think how big it was.

Terry, Paul, Jason and Ken,

Thanks a million and I will toast you tonight with a few Crown Lagers. :D

The Pals have scored again!

Peter ;)

As a follow up, I have located the following place on Trench Map 62D NE2 dated 15 June 1916 and it is called Minston Post but just above it there is a trench called Mindon Avenue. Is this a "typo"?

Peter

• 1 year later...

Having just ontained the Battle of the Somme film, I wanted to find out where Midne Post was.

A quick use of the forum search engine and here is the answer.

Thanx Chris and Pals for an excellent site

;)