The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Children of the War Dead Documentry

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Did anyone see the Doc last night on BBC4 about the children of the Soldiers who died during the war? It was so moving to hear there stories. They all looked to young to have been born 90 years ago. One of the hardest bits to watch, for me, was when one gentleman visited his father's grave for the first time and told his Dad his last memory of him.

One of the people who was featured in this program wrote 'Oh what a lovely War'

I hope someone has recorded it. Has it been on before? I wonder why they put it on so late at night?

Regards,

Stewart

Hello,

Did anyone see the Doc last night on BBC4 about the children of the Soldiers who died during the war? It was so moving to hear there stories. They all looked to young to have been born 90 years ago. One of the hardest bits to watch, for me, was when one gentleman visited his father's grave for the first time and told his Dad his last memory of him.

One of the people who was featured in this program wrote 'Oh what a lovely War'

I hope someone has recorded it. Has it been on before? I wonder why they put it on so late at night?

Regards,

Stewart

Is this it? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008cxzt

If so I may hit my bandwidth limit!

David

Hi Stewart. I saw that programme before. Very sad in parts. Two in particular that filled me right up.

The one you refer to. One old man, in his 90s, kneeling at his fathers grave says something like :

"Thats my dad. I missed you when I was a little boy and I miss now I'm an old man"

The other one being the fact that another old man had kept the picture of a train his father

had drawn him for all those years and the poem he wrote for his dad.