Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paint Markings on the No. 36 M Mk.1 Mills Grenade?

BStaples

Asking the Experts...

Does anyone have information about the various paint markings on the No. 36 M Mk.1 Mills Grenade?

Specifically...

A row of red X's around the circumference of the grenade above a green band also around the circumference of the grenade.

The image attached to this post is a resin replica of the grenade in question.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

post-5400-1226457465.jpg

Hi there

the markings are for a 36M Mk 1 and the red crosses show it is a live gren suitable for tropical environment and the green band shows it is filled with amatol. A pink band would show it was filled with ammonal or alumatol.If filled with cilferite, no colored band. These are WW1 fillings and later grens were filled with baratol or trotyl which was also marked with a green band.

A 36 Mk 1[no M] would have had a red bandshowing it was a live gren with a cououred band showing its filling.

M stands for Messapotamia, a campaign that needed waterproofed gren and this mark became the standard.

Dont know whether your resin copy represents a WW1 or WW2 gren, guess thats up to you.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Asking the Experts...

Does anyone have information about the various paint markings on the No. 36 M Mk.1 Mills Grenade?

Specifically...

A row of red X's around the circumference of the grenade above a green band also around the circumference of the grenade.

The image attached to this post is a resin replica of the grenade in question.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The crosses are in the wrong place in your replica.

Here's a photo of a repainted WW1 36. In WW2 Mills 36 the green paint band frequently was much narrower, sometimes just filling the central frag groove. In WW1 it was wider. Crosses were normally on the sides not the front.

Gunner Bailey

post-8629-1226505083.jpg

Thanks for the info Andy A & Gunner Bailey.

I'm still on the lookout for a real (inert) Mills Grenade, but thought that the replica ($25 CDN) was a decent deal.

Thanks again!

/Brad

Thanks for the info Andy A & Gunner Bailey.

I'm still on the lookout for a real (inert) Mills Grenade, but thought that the replica ($25 CDN) was a decent deal.

Thanks again!

/Brad

Brad

There are a few people over here who could sell you one (or many) but the Canadian customs are far too strict to let them in. There are quite a few tales of packages being blown up and even an airport closed down whilst they investigate inert antiques. Most traders won't send stuff to Canada any more.

Gunner Bailey

Brad

There are a few people over here who could sell you one (or many) but the Canadian customs are far too strict to let them in. There are quite a few tales of packages being blown up and even an airport closed down whilst they investigate inert antiques. Most traders won't send stuff to Canada any more.

Gunner Bailey

Gunner,

I've read a few stories of exactly that, even resin replicas aren't same from Canada Customs!

You can find a few deactivated/inert examples in Canada, however, the prices are inflated ($300+ CDN).

Half the fun is in the search... I'm headed to two military shows this weekend.

...Keeping my fingers crossed!

If you ever hear of anyone selling one in Canada, I would very much appreciate a PM/email.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad

You do of course have your own home grown 36s. They were made by Galt Metal Industries of Ontario in WW2. They have a G on the front of the body and an O on the baseplug. It might be worth looking in the Ontario area first. I'm sure a few 'souvenirs' must have leaked out of the factory!

Gunner Bailey