The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Steadman Newton - 11th Battalion Border Regiment

Steadman

Birth: 1890.

Death: 18.03.1917.

Regiment: Border Regiment (3723).

Unit: 11th Battalion (Lonsdale).

Service Numbber: 30173

Steadman was my great grandfather's brother. He was one of 14 children. I have always wanted to learn about him. My mother's middle name, my middle name and my 1 year old daughter's middle name is Newton in honour of his memory.

So far, I have only found his War Medal Card and his grave site on the War Commission website.

Can anyone else find out any more information on him please?

Steadman

I can't raise the page at the moment as it is Work in Progress but the Long Long Trail shows the 11 BR as attached to 97 Brigade of 32 Division,which,among other things went through the Battle of the Somme,ending up around Beaumont Hamel at the close of that Battle in Nov 1916.

You will be able to find out more of his movements by the Bn War Diary which is at Kew under WO95/2403,this covers the time from his Division's arrival in France in Nov 1915 right through to the time of his death on 18 March 1917. He was buried at Le Treport,which is on the west coast north of Dieppe,where he would have been taken wounded to one of the 3 Military Hospitals based there at the time,Nos 3 and 16 of the British and No 2 Canadian.

Sotonmate

Hi & welcome

Here are his details from SDGW (Soldiers Died in the Great War) in case you don't have them.

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919 -

Name: Steadman NEWTON

Regiment, Corps etc.: Border Regiment

Battalion etc.: 11th Battalion.

Raised 17.9.14 by the Earl of Lonsdale and an Executive Committee in Carlisle, Kendal and Workington with H.Q. at Penrith. Oct. 1914 to Blackhall Racecourse, Carlisle. May, 1915 to Prees Heath in 97th Bde. 32nd Div. June 1915 to Wensley. Aug. 1915 to Fovant, Salisbury Plain. 27.8.15 taken over by the War Office. 23.11.15 landed at Boulogne. 10.5.18 reduced to training cadre, surplus personnel to 1/5th Bn. 13.5.18 to 66th Div. 31.7.18 cadre absorbed by 1/5th Bn.

Last name: Newton

First name(s): Steadman

Initials: S

Birthplace: Brampton, Cumberland

Enlisted: Shap, Westmorland

Residence: Penrith, Cumberland

Number: 30173

Date died: 18 March 1917

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

He also appears on the 1891 & 1901 census if you want those details too.

Ellie

Thanks everyone.

Devonmaid, can you post his Census entries please? I would really appreciate that if you have access to them. Thanks.

Also he died on 18/03/917. From what I can find the 11th Battalion (Lonsdale) of the Border Regiment were not fighting on this date? How would he have been wounded badly enough to die from his wounds on the 18/03/1917? Any ideas what could happened to him? Was there fighting near to this date he would have been involved in?

Also how do I find when he enlisted? Unfortunately he does not feature on any of the Lonsdale Battalion Nominal Rolls which apparently means Steadman joined up later in the war. Would he have been in the Battle of the Somme?