Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MY GREAT GRANDFATHER

SAB1

I am trying to trace my great grandfathers war records. His name is Hugh Kay. He was commissioned by the king on 16.07.1918. He was born in Glasgow on the 20.05.1887. The commision by the king was written in the London Gazette between 16.07.1918-10.10.1918. I am sure he was a 2nd LT for the Argyll and Southern Hylanders....

SAB1

SAB1

He was a Sergeant firstly ! 3819 Sergeant A&SH,then (renumbered?1917) 201490,and then 2/Lt in the Egyptian Labour Corps. Some nice person with Ancestry UK will post the Medal Index Card shortly,unless you have access yourself !

Sotonmate

Edit: His number 201490 from 1917 puts him in the 5th Battalion A&SH.

SAB1

He was 1/5 battalion,which was at Gallipoli in 157 brigade of 52nd (Lowland) Division. In Jan 1916 evacuated from Gallipoli to Egypt,where served until April 1918,when went to France an joined 103 Brigade of 34 Division.

Sotonmate

I am trying to trace my great grandfathers war records. His name is Hugh Kay. He was commissioned by the king on 16.07.1918. He was born in Glasgow on the 20.05.1887. The commision by the king was written in the London Gazette between 16.07.1918-10.10.1918. I am sure he was a 2nd LT for the Argyll and Southern Hylanders....

SAB1

Sab

Welcome to the forum. You will, I hope, find it as useful as I have (and am - today particularly!)

1. If your GGF died check the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
  2. As an Officer he will probably have a service file at the National Archives Kew. The document "series" is WO 339 (WO = War Office and 339 is Officers' service records); these are often disappointing sometimes being little other than attestation, demobilisation and pension information.
  3. Likewise at Kew you will find the Argyll and Sutherland battalion war diaries (as an officer he might be mentioned on occasions) The series is WO 95
  4. Also at Kew are the Medal Index Cards. If you find the one you want you can download it for £2; However during November you can download for free from Ancestry.co.uk (but not all MICs are on Ancestry).
  5. Also on Ancestry you can check the indices to the 1901 Census: you need to subscribe to view the actual Census Enumerators' Books.
  6. Check what we call the home site The Long Long Trail
  7. It sounds as if you have found the London Gazette - it will cover promotions, demotions, awards etc. I don't know if for the A&S you need the Edinburgh Edition (see link in top left)
You may find you get more response if you include your GGF's regiment in the title or sub-title of the post (use the Edit button on the bottom right of your original post).

HTH

David

SAB1

He was 1/5 battalion,which was at Gallipoli in 157 brigade of 52nd (Lowland) Division. In Jan 1916 evacuated from Gallipoli to Egypt,where served until April 1918,when went to France an joined 103 Brigade of 34 Division.

Sotonmate

Thank you very much for this information on my GGF..... Every path i take i seem to come up against a wall of no information... You mentioned a Medal Index...What is that exactly and how do i get access to this....

Once again many many thanks....

SAB1

Hi SAB1,

here's his MIC (Medal Index Card), there are pension and service papers for Hugh Kay on ancestry but it doesn't appear to be the same man. The 6 digit number puts Hugh in the 1/5th Bn ASH and was commissioned on 21st August 1918. No Star medal and no entry date would suggest that he didn't arrive overseas until January 1916 at the earliest. During the early part of 1917 the Territorial Force underwent a numbering change from 4 to 6 digits, both numbers on the MIC would suggest that he was already overseas when these changes took place. Let me know if you would like a better copy of the MIC,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1226407125.jpg

A couple of Gazette entries about his appointments:

London Gazette 15-10-1918

INFANTRY

Labour Corps

Temp. Lt. J. R. Roxberry to comd. a double Co., Egyptian Lab. Corps, and to be actg. Capt. while so empld. 20 June 1918.

No. 201490 Serjt. Hugh Kay to be temp. 2nd Lt. for duty with Egyptian Lab. Corps. 16 July 1918.

http://beta.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF....t=&similar=

London Gazette 27-1-1920

LABOUR CORPS

Temp. Lt. T. P.-Bennett (Egyptian Lab.) relinquishes the actg. rank of Capt. on ceasing to be spec, empld. 31 Dec. 1919.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. Kay (Egyptian Lab.) to take rank and precedence in the Corps and in the Army as if his appt. as temp. 2nd Lt. bore date the 17th day of Jan. 1919.

London Gazette 12-3-1920

INFANTRY

Labour Corps

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. Kay (Egyptian Lab.) relinquishes his commission on completion of service, 29 Jan. 1920, and retains the rank of 2nd Lt.

The links the Gazette is using today seem odd (the site was down earlier). If the links don't work, just shout and I'll find them again.

Steve.

The are several possibilties for officers files held at the National Archives:

WO 339/38098 KAY H, Lieut 1914-1919; 1938

WO 339/88452 KAY H [1914-1922]

WO 339/118762 KAY H [1914-1922]

WO 339/119963 KAY H [1914-1922]

WO 339/134034 KAY H [1914-1922]

WO 374/38777 KAY, 2/Lieut H 1914-1919

WO 374/38778 KAY, 2/Lieut H 1916-1918; 1968

I would start with the latter two, as Territorials tend to be in WO374.

The 1968 reference is probably to a death. If he died in 1968 then that would be the place to start...

These are not available online, except by special request.

Steve.

Hi SAB1,

here's his MIC (Medal Index Card), there are pension and service papers for Hugh Kay on ancestry but it doesn't appear to be the same man. The 6 digit number puts Hugh in the 1/5th Bn ASH and was commissioned on 21st August 1918. No Star medal and no entry date would suggest that he didn't arrive overseas until January 1916 at the earliest. During the early part of 1917 the Territorial Force underwent a numbering change from 4 to 6 digits, both numbers on the MIC would suggest that he was already overseas when these changes took place. Let me know if you would like a better copy of the MIC,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1226407125.jpg

Jon,

Thank you very much for this information...You mentioed that i f i wanted a better copy of the MIC to let you know...If you could send me a better copy that would be very much appreciated....

Many Many Thanks

Stevie

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I've only just stumbled across it.

I am Hugh Kay's grandson. I have his medals, commissioning parchment and a photo of him as a 2nd Lt in his No1 dress uniform.