The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anyone recognise this tank badge?

brett361975

I picked up this Tank Corps pin badge yesterday. I have never seen one like it before. It is made of Sterling Silver but sadly has no assey marks so I am unable to date it. Has anyone come across one like this before? any information would be much appreciated.

It has Tank Corps printed on the front and Sterling printed on the back.

Regards

Brett

post-17575-1226304566.jpg

post-17575-1226304175.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts. Tanks3 do you mean it looks like an american tank? or an american type badge?

Regards

Brett

Tanks3,

Did an Internet search last night for American tank badges and came across nothing similar, any pointers where to look?

Could any age be gathered from the type of pin clasp?

Regards

Brett

Brett,

Have nothing concrete but it just looks like badges I have seen in the past that are American in origin. Its the shape of the tank. If you look on ebay from time to time you will see whay I mean. However, I could be completely wrong.

Tanks3

For what it's worth, I don't think its a badge made to be worn on a uniform. Such badges are usually fastened in such a way that they sit close up to the material on which they are mounted (the British Imperial Service badge being a notable exception!). I would suggest it's a sweetheart/commemorative type badge and thus unlikely to turn up in an internet search of tank badges.

Nice little item, nevertheless.

Bob.

PS - Ooh look - I've just been promoted Major!! Darn - got to change the badges on my pyjamas now!

Thank you very much for all your input chaps.

No numbers on the back, just the word "Sterling"

Regards

Brett

If you look at page 113 of The Fighting Tanks (Jones Raret and Icks C 1931) there is a photo of a WW1 scroll listing US tank battles in the bottom right hand corner of which is a tiny sketch looking not unlike your badge.

Brett,

From the picture you posted and that posted by dogsbody you can now get a comparison in the shape of the tanks. Dogsbody is British whilst yours has the shape of an American one. That's the point I was trying to make earlier. Thanks for the pic dogsbody!

Tanks3

If it really is Sterling silver, and has no assay marks, then it was not made, or sold, in Britain.

Ron