Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The RFC Communiques 1917-1918

Guest Angela Cooper

Guest Angela Cooper

I have the Royal Flying Corps Communiques 1917-1918 in book form and am happy to do look ups for individual pilots.

Angela Cooper

Angela,

Many thanks for your offer. Do you have anything on Second Lieutenant Arthur R Melbourne, 80 Sqn RAF, died 14/6/1918?

Many thanks.

Regards,

David

Guest Angela Cooper

No mention of your man in this volume. There are however 2 further volumes covering from July 1915to the end of 1916. I am borrowing this and should have it next week so will look to see if there is any mention of him.

Regards

Angela

It's quite possible that 2Lt A R Melbourne of No 80 Sqn saw active [air] service only with the RAF, and not with the RFC. He was shot down after the creation of the RAF on 1 April 1918, and may not have been flying at the front before the RAF was established. The only mention of him in 'The Sky Their Battlefield' is his being shot down in Camel D6420 on 14 June 1918, when he encountered Ltn Ulrich Neckel of Jasta 12 and became the 11th or 12th of Neckel's eventual 30 victories. Neckel brought down two No 80 Sqn aircraft that day: 2Lt Melbourne in D6420 and 2Lt P R Beare in D6597.

2Lt Melbourne appears only once in 'The Camel File' and that's in relation to his loss in D6420.

A photograph of a No 80 Sqn Camel, showing the Squadron marking of a white bar ahead of the tail, is below.

post-14-1078819611.jpg

Dolphin,

Many thanks. I will add this to the other material which you kindly looked out for me last year. The photo of the Camel will assist in making of an accurate model of Melbourne's aeroplane.

Regards,

David

Hi Angela

I would be grateful if you could look up the following men, they were all taken prisoner. The dates are from the Cox and Co list of POWs.

N H Thackrah - 24 March 1918

W G Fluke - 23 March 1918

H D Spearpoint - 17 June 1917

H Ibbotson - 15 September 1917

Thanks very much

Regards

Steve

Guest Angela Cooper

No joy I'm affraid. Most of the individuals mentioned seem to be of the more senior ranks.

I've also checked the 1915-16 communiques for you as I have a copy temporarily.

Do you have Sqdns for your men? If you do I'll check by the dates you have given as the Sqdn might be mentioned.

Regards

Angela

Steve

Lt N H Thackrah was flying DH4 A7661 of No 55 Sqn, with Lt W G Fluke DSO as his observer, when shot down and taken prisoner near Pirmasens during a bombing raid on Mannheim. 'The DH4/DH9 File' credits the victory to Leutnant Richard Ruckle of Jasta 33; it doesn't appear in other lists. A7661 had seen service with No 57 Sqn before being delivered to No 55 Sqn on 15 March after repair.

Lt H D Spearpoint was flying SE5 A4862 of No 56 Sqn when shot down in the Haubourdin area. A victory was credited to Vizefeldwebel Fritz Krebs of Jasta 6; it was the 5th of Krebs' eventual 8 victories. Vzfw Krebs was killed in action against No1 1 and 56 Sqns on 16 July 1917. A4862 was quite a combat veteran, Captain R T C Hoidge claimed 8 victories while flying it in May 1917.

2Lt H Ibbotson was flying Sopwith Camel B2343 of No 70 Sqn when shot down in the Menin-Roulers area. His aircraft had been delivered to the squadron only five days earlier. A victory was credited to Leutnant Hans Adam of Jasta 6; it was the 15th of Adam's eventual 21 victories. Ltn Hans Ritter von Adam (as he had become) was killed in action against Nos 29 and 45 Sqns when flying Albatros D.V 5222/17 on 15 November 1917.

I hope this helps.

Hi Dolphin

Thanks very much for the information, it is very interesting.

Please could I ask if you have any information about Lt. A G Wier. He is listed in Cox and Co List as missing on 26 July 1915. I found a reference to a Lt Weir of 4 Sqn in RFC Communique No 1 for 25 July 1915, Weir was flying with Lt Hankin as his observer, Hankin is also listed as missing on 26 July 1915 in Cox and Co List. There is no mention of Weir on 26 July.

Thanks again

Regards

Steve

Lt A G Weir was flying BE2c 1698 of No 4 Sqn, with Lt H M (or H F) Hankin as his observer, on a reconnaisance mission when they were brought down and made Prisoners of War after a fight with enemy aircraft on 26 July 1915. Both officers were sent to The Netherlands on 10 April 1918.

It's interesting that RFC Communiqué No 1 mentions Lts Weir and Hankin having a fight with an enemy aircraft that day, but omits their being forced down and taken prisoner.

I couldn't find a photograph of 1698, but an image of 1686, a No 4 Sqn aircraft from the same production batch (built by Bristol & Colonial) is below.

Cheers

post-14-1079494404.jpg

• 14 years later...
On 3/8/2004 at 10:10, Guest Angela Cooper said:

I have the Royal Flying Corps Communiques 1917-1918 in book form and am happy to do look ups for individual pilots.

Angela Cooper

Hi Angela 

I am researching a family member  - John Harrington Buswell Wyman  who was with 70 Squadron in 1917 and shot down 15th Sept  and 

taken prisoner  - if you could look up anything about him Id be very grateful 

thanks

Adam

He is not mentioned in the book .

Rob