Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

units recruiting in North Derbyshire

matteyre

I was wondering which units might have recruited here. I have checked all the names on the Castleton War Memorial against the Sherwood Foresters casualty lists expecting to find many of them in 1/6th, only to find no positive matches at all... i know that the Lincolns recruited in Chesterfield, but wondered if anyone has details of recruiting areas in general, thanks, matt

Matt

Perhaps some of the Lancashire Regiments or Cheshires and then again the York and Lancs recruited from just a bit further east in Calver etc

Likewise I've not yet come across a 1/6th Battn man from Castleton.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I was just surprised to not to find any one of them in any Sherwood battalion... Have looked on the CWGC site and only one positive, but his date of death was different to that on the village memorial.. he was in the 4th Grenadier Guards like your relative. I'll post the full list on here when I get a moment.

I can't add any specific comments, but my listing for Tibshelf has nearly 600 men so gives a reasonable flavour. Other than the Foresters who are dominant I have signficant proportions of Grenadier Guards (who did recruit well in Derbyshire I believe), North and South Staffs, Lincolnshire (mostly 6th-8th Bns), RMLI and KRRC (particularly 9th Bn) and York & Lancaster (mostly TF).

Thanks Andrew, hope to post the full list later today. Have noticed a grenadier guards link, my uncle was in them in ww2 and was injured at Dunkirk, did they recruit in Chesterfield?

I've posted the full list under "Cemeteries and Memorials", the 4th Grenadiers link is Pte John Eyre 24820 d 30/12/1916... no relation, as my family were originally from Tibshelf and Morton, can't see any on your site Andrew, although my grandfathers generation had moved to Chesterfield by WW1

There is also the possibilty of RE recruitment. The REs trained in and around Buxton.

My website - www.ypressalient.co.uk - war diaries - Arthur Daulman gives details of their stay at Buxton. Local men could have joined up as a result of seeing the REs in the area.

stevem

I wasn't aware of your Tibshelf link! Weird.

Did the GG's recruit in Chesterfield? Not sure. I'll check places of enlistment for my GG's when I get home tonight and see if there's a pattern.