Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sunday Telegraph (9/11/08) The Unknown Warrior

NigelS

The link seems to be to a page that updates, and it is now showing letters published in today's paper rather than those in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph.

The link seems to be to a page that updates, and it is now showing letters published in today's paper rather than those in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph.

Hidden at the bottom of the page is a link "previous letters". From here you might get to: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh...t1601.xml#head9

David

But presumably the author still received a fee for his inaccurate and misleading article. I have long since given up believing much of what I read in newspapers.

The letter in reply to the article is as follows:

Buried with honours

The article on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior refers to three other bodies being placed in the tomb. My grandfather, Brig Gen LJ Wyatt, sometimes talked about how the bodies were chosen. The other three bodies were, in fact, re-buried in the military cemetery at St Pol with full military honours, and my grandfather was present at all three funerals.

A.J. Boumphrey, Delamere, Cheshire

Given that the War Graves Commission was up and running it would seem surprising that this would be allowed.

Personally I wouldn't be too suprised! :o

• 4 years later...

The letter in reply to the article is as follows:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Buried with honours

The article on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior refers to three other bodies being placed in the tomb. My grandfather, Brig Gen LJ Wyatt, sometimes talked about how the bodies were chosen. The other three bodies were, in fact, re-buried in the military cemetery at St Pol with full military honours, and my grandfather was present at all three funerals.

<b>A.J. Boumphrey, Delamere, Cheshire</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My Grandfather knew yours he was Rev George Kendall OBE he left the final account as he was in charge of the exhumation. I'm hoping it will be published.