Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Suffolk Regiment

Faith

Can anyone give me any advice please? My Grandad was in this regiment and received a pension as he was injured in WW1. I do not have his service number. I would like to know more about his service. He was Charles Robert Etheridge, d.o.b.20 Jan 1895. He also worked in the pay corps and later in the air ministry in WW2. Can anyone tell me how I can get further details?

Janette - pure pedantry, but the Suffolks were never "Royal". Be sure you're not confusing them with the Royal Sussex (who were "Royal"!).

Hi David

I tried to use the fast reply but don't think it worked !!! Thanks for the medal card, it could be the one.

Yes. he was injured. I believe he was gassed and shot in both legs. We know he came home on the same hospital ship as the Uncle of one of my Aunts who was injured in Ypres, so maybe he was in Ypres too??? My grandad also worked in the pay corps and later in the air ministry during WW2. The family was moved from Sussex to Manchester because of that.

Regards

Jan

Jan

thanks for your lovely reply.

Just read your original post properly re injury (DOH!!). Sorry :blush: OK I was out for Tea and had a few glasses etc.

Need to find out his battalion number - need to go to Kew for this and look up the rolls to get that or one of the experts on here will pin it down (fingers crossed). SWB roll will have the details of the injury and maybe the place. Service number is low.

Help suffolk experts!

David

I use the addreply button.

PPS The hospital ship link is important- some great experts on here re that.

Judging by his numbers, almost certainly 1/4th Battalion

1/4th Battalion:

August 1914 : in Portman Road, Ipswich. Part of Norfolk and Suffolk Brigade, East Anglian Division.

9 November 1914 : landed at Le Havre, having left the Division. Attached to the Jullundur Brigade, the Lahore Division.

15 November 1915 : transferred to 46th Brigade, 15th Division.

22 February 1916 : transferred to 98th Brigade, 33rd Division.

15 February 1918 : transferred to 58th Division as Pioneers.

http://www.1914-1918.net/suffolks.htm

Enlistment seems to date to about mid-1916.

Since he later served in the Army in WW2 then the Ministry of Defence should still hold his records.

Steve.

David and Steve

Thank you so much for your help. I didn't realise I would get this far so quickly. I think I will try and

contact the MOD for records. I have looked on the website and it looks as if first I have to get written permission from my Uncle who is next of kin and then they say it can take several months to get the records - I suppose I'm too impatient really !!!!

Regards

Jan