Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Charles Pyke Highland Light Infantry 2nd Bn

thesunalwaysshines

Hello

I'm researching my great uncle Charles Pyke's military history, and would appreciate any help/advice anyone can give. I know he's buried at the Eastern Necropolis in Glasgow, which I visit often, and found the following information about him on the Commonwealth War Graves Commissions website -

Name:PYKE

Initials:C

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text:2nd Bn.

Date of Death:15/08/1916

Service No:16882

Additional information:Son of James and Mary Burns Pyke, of 15, Barr St. East, Bridgeton, Glasgow.

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:21. 3. 37C.

Cemetery:GLASGOW EASTERN NECROPOLIS

So far, I've been unable to locate any pension or service record for him. I did find a medal card for this service number, showing he proudly received the Victory, British and Star medals http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=V...amp;pid=1741914 . It ties in with his name (and the service number 16882 also on his gravestone), but for some reason it states that he served in the 10th Battalion - different to whats recorded on the above?

I hoping someone with more experience than myself in researching military history will clarify which battalion he fought for,as it makes a big difference if he was a volunteer, or if this was his job? I can then research this further in the Long Long Trail.

He was the brother of my Grandmother, who's buried near him, and I want to bring his memories alive, to pass down the family as a legacy, like so many other family members I lost in the Great War. :(

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919 - soldier details

Name: Charles PYKE

Regiment, Corps etc.: Highland Light Infantry

Battalion etc.: 2nd Battalion.

4.8.14 Maida Barracks, Aldershot: 5th Bde. 2nd Div. 14.8.14 landed at Boulogne. 11.11.18 5th Bde. 2nd Div. France; Villers Pol.

Last name: Pyke

First name(s): Charles

Initials: C

Birthplace: Glasgow

Enlisted: Glasgow

Residence:

Number: 16882

Date died: 15 August 1916

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Thanks Skipman

Devonmaid, sorry if I sound really naive, as I'm new to military lingo, but what does

4.8.14 Maida Barracks, Aldershot: 5th Bde. 2nd Div. 14.8.14 landed at Boulogne. 11.11.18 5th Bde. 2nd Div. France; Villers Pol.
mean? :wacko: