The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Porter 28065 Kings Own Royal Lancs

okl18

Hello.

Just discovered this site and keen to find out more about my grandfather, Ernest Harold Porter's WW1 service, at this time of remembrance.

Born in 1889,I beleive he enlisted in January 1916 -presumably as one of Kitchener's recruits-with the 80th batallion ( training batallion ?) and subsequently transferred to the Western Front with 1st/5th batallion of KO Royal lancs.

Family recollection is that he was wounded at Passchendaele and had many operations at the Queen Alexandra Military hospital at Millbank London, although I don't know if there are any records anywhere of the hospital.

Notwithstanding his injuries he was demobilised by transfer to Army Reserve Class Z in Feb 1919, as a grade 3 medical serving private, rather than being discharged.

I know he was awarded the British war and Allied victory medals, although sadly these were stolen many years ago.

Grateful for any assistance / guidance on further information of his service with this regiment

Thanks

OKL

1/5 Battalion of the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment was part of 166 Brigade of 55 Division from January 1916. See this page from the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/55div.htm

Someone might pop up the Medal Index Card for this man any time now. It confirms him as 28065 Private Ernest H PORTER.

Welcome to the Forum.

Sotonmate

Thanks for this info.

The link to the Long Trail is temporarily suspended but I look forward to reading further info on the activities of 166 brigade when it's back

I got the medal card from National archives a while ago, but I've never been to look on the actual roll. Is it likely there'd be any more info relating to my grandfather on the roll itself ?

Any other possible sources of additional info you might suggest ?

Thanks again Sotnmate and Skipman for your kind assistance

OKL

1/5 Battalion of the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment was part of 166 Brigade of 55 Division from January 1916. See this page from the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/55div.htm

Someone might pop up the Medal Index Card for this man any time now. It confirms him as 28065 Private Ernest H PORTER.

Welcome to the Forum.

Sotonmate