Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Albert Austin Sharpe

Guest harperhh

Hi

I am completely new to this, so if you wouldnt mind bearing with me.

My late grandfather was in the West Yorkshire Regiment, and has a medal which shows he was in a grand campaign.

His record shows that the regiment was the west yorkshire regiment 21/230 but I dont know what this means, I believe it was the 21st West Yorks. but not sure about the 230!

My grandfather would have been 19 at the onset of war, and survived until 1974. however I am not sure what if any battles he may have been involved in, although I do have a photo of him taken in his uniform, looking very dashing.

He never really talked much about his time.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me with a little more info?

Thanks for your assistance

hh

There is a Medal Index Card for 21/230 (this is his service number) Private Albert Sharpe of the West Yorkshire Regiment in WO372/18 at Kew Archives (Image reference 11351/1848). Someone here might post a copy of it for you as it can be downloaded from Ancestry UK as well.It doesn't normally show his Battalion. From that card you can trace his Battalion but this has to be done at Kew from the original Medal Rolls in series WO329. Once you have his Battalion you can begin to find out what he did in the War.

Welcome to the Forum !

Sotonmate

Hi harperhh,

Welcome to the forum.

Like Skipman, I searched for a medal index card at Ancestry without success.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ancestry-ers

It only shows his first name the second A is not shown. All other details as shown by the requestor. I have now posted the Image ref in my post No 2 but I don't suppose that is of any use on Ancestry !

Sotonmate

• 1 year later...
Guest harperhh

hh

There is a Medal Index Card for 21/230 (this is his service number) Private Albert Sharpe of the West Yorkshire Regiment in WO372/18 at Kew Archives (Image reference 11351/1848). Someone here might post a copy of it for you as it can be downloaded from Ancestry UK as well.It doesn't normally show his Battalion. From that card you can trace his Battalion but this has to be done at Kew from the original Medal Rolls in series WO329. Once you have his Battalion you can begin to find out what he did in the War.

Welcome to the Forum !

Sotonmate

thanks for your help. how would I find out about his military history once his battalion is known, is it a case of writing to military museum in london. I have a copy of his 'smalls' book, and it shows that he was in prince of wales own 21st west yorkshire regiment, there are also embroidery pieces I have showing things like mother, which I understood he did whilst in service.

thanks

There are 2 MIC's for him on Ancestery (Duplicate)

No battalion or date of entry listed.

Victory + BWM (0/2/104) p 103. Class Z 18/3/19.

This from 'The Long, Long Trail' :

21st (Service) Battalion (Wool Textile Pioneers)

Formed in Halifax on 24 September 1915 by the Lord Mayor and City of Leeds.

Moved to Skipton in February 1916.

June 1916 : moved to France.

2 June 1916 : attached to 4th Division as Pioneer Bn.

The battalion's war diary has not been digitised yet and is not available to download, however there are other diaries from the division which might offer a flavour of what was going on at any given time.

The regimental museum in York may also be able to help, but as a first step, have a read through the appropriate regimental and divisonal pages on The Long, Long Trail and this will give you a platform from which to start. It will help you understand where the battalion fitted into the division in its role as divional pioneer battalion.

If there is any particular period you would like to know more about, let me know. I have the (West Yorkshire) regimental history and will be happy look things up for you.

Cheers,

Nigel